Solving Inclined Plane Problems: Help Needed!

In summary: You can use the scalar product to solve inclined plane problems. In this example, the scalar product would be used to calculate the force required to move the object up the incline.
pavadrin
hey
a while back my physics teacher attempted to teach me inclined plane problems, however he only showed me once and I understood absolutely nothing. I was hoping that some kind fellow out there might be able to help me out, either by explaining me all the possible calculations involved, involving friction and not involving friction. I have looked in some textbooks and they mentioned using the dot product as a means if solving these problems, however I understood very little of this. Even if somebody could just provide me with a link that explains the situation, I would greatly appreciate it.
Many thanks in advance,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got tons of links out there, for example:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/vectors/u3l3e.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that reply radou, however does anyone know of how i could use the scalar product to help solve these icline problems?
thanks

what do you mean by scalar product? To solve the problems relating to incline planes we usually have to draw the free body diagram of the object, which inevitably lead us to use vectors to solve the problem. Most incline problems wouldn't really require you to use kinetics equations, but more on dynamics and stuff.

pavadrin said:
thanks for that reply radou, however does anyone know of how i could use the scalar product to help solve these icline problems?
thanks

Depends on the problem itself. If you could present such a problem, maybe we could see where and why the scalar product is used.

okay ill post a problem

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-​

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7534/untitledsv0.jpg [Broken]

if that's the diagram of the problem and the object applied a force of 50 N irectly downward. This could be converted to -50j if the situation was to be considered in a 2D plane where one i unit would be i unit to the left, and one j unit would be one unit upward, therefore the negative would be the opposite. The frictional force of the surface is constant at -2i -4j, could i show calculate the force required to move the onbject up the incline, which is say on a 45 degree slope? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
does any1 understand how this works, I am really stuck, thanks

1. How do I calculate the force of gravity on an inclined plane?

To calculate the force of gravity on an inclined plane, you will need to use the equation Fg = mg sinθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and θ is the angle of inclination.

2. What is the formula for finding the weight of an object on an inclined plane?

The formula for finding the weight of an object on an inclined plane is W = mgsinθ, where W is the weight of the object, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination.

3. How do I determine the normal force on an object on an inclined plane?

The normal force on an object on an inclined plane can be determined by using the formula Fn = mgcosθ, where Fn is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination.

4. Can I use the same equations for both static and kinetic friction on an inclined plane?

No, the equations for static and kinetic friction on an inclined plane are different. For static friction, the formula is Ff = μsFn, where Ff is the force of static friction, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and Fn is the normal force. For kinetic friction, the formula is Ff = μkFn, where Ff is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and Fn is the normal force.

5. How can I determine the angle of inclination of an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination of an inclined plane can be determined by using the formula θ = tan-1(h/l), where θ is the angle of inclination, h is the height of the incline, and l is the length of the incline.