Solving an Inclined Plane Problem

In summary, the question is about determining the component of gravity acting along an inclined plane using a right triangle and the equation H = mg/sinθ. However, the answer according to the book is H = mg * sinθ, raising confusion about the triangle drawn. The correct triangle should have the force of gravity as the hypotenuse.
RiskX
Hi,
I'm facing a pretty silly problem and I will appreciate if you can help me.
I face the following diagram:
[PLAIN]http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/6273/inclinedplane.jpg

Forget about the all the missing values in the painting(like that cart's mass, the value of θ, etc..) they are irrelevant, my question is about a principle.

Now, what I need to figure out is the component gravity acting along the ramp.
To figure it out I created a little triangle, placed the right angles, and marked the force acting along the ramp(which I need to figure out) as H:
[PLAIN]http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/189/markedinclinedplane.jpg

So, in order to figure out H, I did the following:

sinθ = mg/H
H = mg/sinθ

Pretty easy am I right? Except according to the book I'm reading the right answer is:
H = mg * sinθ

How can it be? I didn't draw the triangle right? Is there other way to figure the force acting along the ramp?

Thank in advanced!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RiskX said:
How can it be? I didn't draw the triangle right? Is there other way to figure the force acting along the ramp?
You drew the wrong triangle. Since gravity is the force that you're trying to find the components of, it must be the hypotenuse of your right triangle (not one of the other sides, like you have it). The components of a force must always be smaller than the force itself.

Read this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an inclined plane problem?

An inclined plane problem is a physics problem that involves an inclined plane, which is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. In this type of problem, the force of gravity is acting on an object that is on the inclined plane, and the goal is to determine the object's motion or acceleration.

2. How do you solve an inclined plane problem?

To solve an inclined plane problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the object on the inclined plane, which includes all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) and trigonometry to find the net force and acceleration of the object. Finally, you can use kinematic equations to calculate the object's displacement, velocity, and time.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving an inclined plane problem?

The key factors to consider when solving an inclined plane problem are the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the forces acting on the object, such as gravity, normal force, and friction. It is also important to consider the direction of the forces and the components of those forces in the direction of motion and perpendicular to the incline.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving an inclined plane problem?

Some common mistakes when solving an inclined plane problem include not properly breaking down forces into components, not considering the direction of forces, and not using the correct trigonometric functions to find the components of forces. It is also important to pay attention to units and double-check calculations.

5. How can understanding inclined plane problems be useful in real life?

Understanding inclined plane problems can be useful in real life for a variety of situations, such as calculating the force needed to push a heavy object up a ramp, determining the angle of a ramp for a wheelchair ramp, or understanding the motion of objects on a hill or slope. It can also be useful in engineering and design, as many machines and structures use inclined planes in their construction.