1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined Plane

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    The problem states:

A horizontal force of 77 N pushes a 12 kg block up a frictionless incline that makes an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal.

What is the normal force that the incline exerts on the block?

After drawing the FBD I can see there are only 2 forces acting in the Y direction which are Fn and W.

so Fn = mg cos theta = 12 kg ( 9.81 m/s^2) * cos (60 deg) = 58.86 N.

This is a homework problem and when attempting to submit the problem on webassign it keeps telling me it is incorrect. I am not sure where I am going wrong or if there is an error with the problem.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The 58.86 N looks good for the normal component of the weight.
    Now find and add the normal component of the push.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How are you defining the Y direction? Perpendicular to the surface?

There are three forces acting on the block. What are their directions?
    To find Fn you must consider all forces that have a component perpendicular to the surface: All three forces must be considered.

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4
    Yes the positive Y direction is perpendicular to the surface of the incline. The positive X direction is parallel to the force pushing or pulling the block.

The three forces acting on the block are the Normal force Fn(positive y, No x component), The pull or push force F(positive x, No y component), and also the Weight of the block W(has 2 components, one in the x, one in the y).

Therefore, I would think the only force contributing would be the Weights cos 60 component.

When you say the normal component of the push. If I am taking the x direction to be parallel to the push then it would have no normal force. Am I misinterpreting the problem?

6. Sep 14, 2011 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The push force is horizontal, not parallel to the surface. So it will have an x and a y component.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook