Acceleration on Inclined Plane and Pulley System

In summary, the conversation is about a physics homework problem involving two masses, a pulley system, and an inclined plane. The question asks for the acceleration of one of the masses on the incline plane. The equations used to solve the problem are provided, along with the attempt at a solution. The person is seeking confirmation that their answer is correct and is unsure where they may have made a mistake. They mention that their initial assumption about the direction of acceleration was incorrect and caused a negative answer. The suggestion is made to check the provided answers for clues.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I believe that I have my answer. I would appreciate it if someone could check my work.

m1 = 33 kg
m2 = 14 kg
μ = 0.19
Angle is given by 5,12,23 triangle shown in figure.
Assume pulleys are massless.

What is the acceleration of mass m2 on the incline plane? (Positive acceleration to be up ramp)

Homework Equations

Mass 2:
T - m2g([itex]\frac{5}{13}[/itex]) - μm2g([itex]\frac{12}{13}[/itex]) = m2a2

Mass 1:
2T - m1g = m1a1

Pulley System:
a2 = -2a1

The Attempt at a Solution

Even though acceleration is assumed to be up the ramp, I drew my FBD with acceleration going down the ramp. I know that if my answer is negative it will be the opposite direction of what I assumed.

After I plugged the pulley equation into the mass 2 equation and then solved two equations with two unknowns:

T = 279.8 N

a1 = 7.15 [itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]

a2 = 14.30 [itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex] (Initially this was a negative answer, which reversed my assumption of the direction)

Attachments

• inclined plane.JPG
    inclined plane.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

I thought that my answers were correct but they are not. I would appreciate it if someone could check my work. I can't seem to find where I made my mistake!

I have also attached a scan of my free body diagrams and the equations that I came up with.

m1 = 33 kg
m2 = 14 kg
μ = 0.19
Angle is given by 5,12,13 triangle shown in figure.
Assume pulleys are massless.

What is the acceleration of mass m2 on the incline plane?

Homework Equations

These are the equations that I came up with from my free body diagrams:

Mass 2:
T - m2g([itex]\frac{5}{13}[/itex]) - μm2g([itex]\frac{12}{13}[/itex]) = m2a2

Mass 1:
2T - m1g = m1a1

Pulley System:
a2 = -2a1

The Attempt at a Solution

After I plugged the pulley equation into the mass 2 equation and then solved two equations with two unknowns:

T = 121.43 N

a1 = 2.45 [itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]

a2 = 4.90 [itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex] (Initially this was a negative answer, which reversed my assumption of the direction)

Attachments

• FBD-Inclined plane.pdf
    293.3 KB · Views: 229
What makes you think the answer is incorrect? Do you have answers provided: perhaps they hold a clue?

You could check by simplifying the system - the pulley system offers a mechanical advantage in one direction ... which, and what does that mean?

1. How does an inclined plane make work easier?

An inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to move an object by spreading the work out over a longer distance. This decreases the amount of force required to overcome gravity and results in less work being done.

2. What is the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is the ratio of the length of the plane to its height. This means that the longer and less steep the plane is, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to move an object up the plane.

3. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system consists of a rope or cable wrapped around a grooved wheel, known as a pulley. When one end of the rope is pulled, the object attached to the other end is lifted. This allows for the weight of the object to be distributed among multiple ropes and pulleys, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

4. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a fixed point, such as a ceiling, and changes the direction of the force applied to lift an object. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and allows for the weight to be evenly distributed among multiple ropes and pulleys, making it easier to lift the object.

5. How does combining an inclined plane and pulley system increase efficiency?

Combining an inclined plane and pulley system allows for the benefits of both to be utilized. The inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to move the object, while the pulley system distributes the weight of the object among multiple ropes, making it even easier to lift. This results in a more efficient and effective way to move heavy objects.