Solving an Inclined Plane Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a system involving two masses, one on an inclined plane and one on a horizontal surface, connected by a pulley. The goal is to find the tension in the connecting cord using various equations and identifying the forces acting on the system. There is confusion about the forces and acceleration, but it is clarified that the net force acting on the system is 2.3N and it is necessary to consider the two masses as one system.
suspenc3
InClined Plane!..Anyone?Please!

a 1kg box on a 30degree frictionless incline is connected to a 3kg box on a horizontal frictionless surface. The pulley is frictionless and massless.
A)if the magnitude of F is 2.3N what is the tension in the connecting cord?
I found all of my formulas
M1 "X" direction-----T-M1g = M1a EQ 1
"Y" direction-----N-M1g = 0 EQ 2
M2 "X" direction-----(T-M2cos30) = M2a EQ 3
"Y"--------------(N-M2gcos60) = 0 EQ 4
im kinda lost..Anyone help?
Heres a link http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/9505/ramp4sl.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think I've made errors in my equations

someone told me this:
Well, the tension in the connecting cord,
if there is NO other (external) Force, is
(4.9 N)(3kg/4kg) , which is NOT 2.3 N .

So either this set-up is not on Earth's surface
or there's an additional Force (horizontal?)
applied to the (1kg) mass.

If there's an extra Force ("by hand") here,
just add it into the sum of forces!

Could anyone explain where he got the numbers?

In a cord the force is transmited independently of the change of direction. Start identifying the forces acting on this system. The force due to gravity acting on m2 is also accelerates m1. What is the acceleration of m1 and m2? What is the force that is applied on m2? If the net force is 2.3, what is the magnitude of the force that is acting on the system? In fact you have to consider the two mass being only one m1 + m2, and then analyze the force acting on this mass. You know that the net force is 2.3 N (that is the force acting on the system, not m2 alone).

Last edited:
the net force acting on m2 is 2.3N
It doesn't say if there is any acceleration

By acting on m2 it is acting on the whole system.

1. How do you calculate the force required to move an object on an inclined plane?

The force required to move an object on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of incline and the force required to move an object?

The force required to move an object on an inclined plane increases as the angle of incline increases. This is because a steeper incline requires more force to overcome the force of gravity pulling the object down.

3. Can friction affect the force required to move an object on an inclined plane?

Yes, friction can affect the force required to move an object on an inclined plane. Friction acts in the opposite direction of the force applied, so it can make it harder to move the object and increase the force required.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the force required to move it on an inclined plane?

The weight of the object directly affects the force required to move it on an inclined plane. A heavier object will require more force to overcome its weight and move up the incline compared to a lighter object.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving inclined plane problems?

Yes, solving inclined plane problems has many real-world applications. It is used in engineering and construction to determine the force needed to move objects on ramps or hills. It is also used in physics to understand and analyze the motion of objects on inclined planes.