1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined planes stuck on someting

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2) In the variant of Atwood’s machine shown below, a mass slides on an inclined surface 40θ above the horizontal with a coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.15. The masses M1 and M2 are 1 kg and 2 kg, respectively. Which way does the pulley rotate? If the lowest point of each mass is initially 2m above the ground (vertically), and the system has a very small but non‐zero initial speed, how long does it take the first mass to hit the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    F=MA

3. The attempt at a solution

So heres how I went about the problem. I first got a force diagram going and found all the forces

F-parallel = 15.01N
    F-Perpend=12.59N
    F-gravity=19.6N
    F-Tens=?
    This is for Mass 2 on the incline

For mass 1 I got

F-gravity 9.8
    F-Tens=?

So I have been trying to use the Ʃ all forces=ma for both equations, this gives me

M2= ƩF=ma=Ftens-Ffrict+Fparallel
    ƩF=2kg*a=Ftens+(-.15*12.59N)+15.01N

M1=ƩF=ma=Ftens-Fgrav
    ƩF=1kg*a=Ftens-1N

Then I put the above M1 equation into M2 and solve for acceleration then plugging in a into either equation to get Ftens. I already know the answer a=-.183 I just want to beat on my craft so when the test rolls around I can set up quick variable templates then plug and chug. Areas of doubt are,

-signs
    -what to do about friction in the sum I already know its going anticlockwise so Friction is negative correct?
    -Plugged it in many times and cannot get the known answer.

Thanks for any help and I will keep this post updated if I come across the answer before I receive help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #2
    one mistake the friction coefficient is multiplied to F parallel

4. Oct 3, 2013 #3
    for my final equation I get a= -m2g-Ffriction+Fparallel/Mass1+Mass2

Help

5. Oct 3, 2013 #4
    figured it out. Complete waste of time on here... Get an infraction quickly but no response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted