What is the Net Horizontal Force on an Inclined Ramp?

In summary, a 2.1 kg block on a frictionless inclined ramp with a mass of 20.0 kg and an angle of 31 degrees is being prevented from accelerating by a net horizontal force. The solution involves analyzing the forces acting on the block and setting up equations such as Newton's Second Law to determine the necessary acceleration. The vertical component of the normal force must balance the weight of the block, and the acceleration must be zero for there to be no net force.
mcstink

Homework Statement

A block of mass 2.1 kg is placed on a frictionless inclined ramp of mass 20.0 kg, with the angle θ= 31o as shown below.

http://s4.lite.msu.edu/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/09_Force_and_Motion/graphics/prob91_plane2.gif

Calculate the size of the net horizontal force that must be applied to the ramp to prevent the block from accelerating with respect to the ramp?

Homework Equations

mgsin(theta) = F of the small block

The Attempt at a Solution

i've used the data to find the acceleration of the small block (5.0474). but I'm not sure where to go from there. I've tried multiplying by the mass of both block and that didn't work. anyone want to help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mcstink said:
i've used the data to find the acceleration of the small block (5.0474).
You've calculated the acceleration (parallel to the incline) that the small block would have if it slid down a fixed frictionless ramp--but that's not relevant here. (After all, you are trying to prevent the small block from sliding down.)

Hint: Start by analyzing the forces acting on the small block.

Start with drawing a free body diagram and identifing all the forces.

Look at:

[tex]\sum F_{x}=\\w_{x}\\-f_{s}=\\0[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_{y}=\\n_{y}-\\w_{y}=\\0[/tex]
and [tex]f_{s}=\\u_{s}\\n[/tex]

Last edited:
okay I'm not quite sure i know all of those abbreviations.

but i think the only forces acting on the small box is the force as it slides down the plane (from gravity) and the force from the ramp from it being pulled. the normal force cancels out with mgcos(theta) and there is no friction. how would i set this up?

force from gravity is weight and it acts all the time not only as it slides down...
use Newton's II Law,
and, yes there are only 2 forces

mcstink said:
but i think the only forces acting on the small box is the force as it slides down the plane (from gravity) and the force from the ramp from it being pulled.
Right. There are two forces acting on the small box: gravity and the normal force from the ramp.
the normal force cancels out with mgcos(theta) and there is no friction.
Not sure what you mean here.

Hint: The vertical component of the normal force must balance the weight of the small box, since it has no vertical acceleration.

Your first goal is to find the acceleration that the small box must have for it not to slide down the ramp.

Well,
Since: [tex]\sum F_{x}=\\w_{x}\\-f_{s}=\\0[/tex] Newtons First Law because we want no net force/accleration
[tex]f_{s}=\\w_{x}[/tex]
[tex]f_{s}=\\mgsin(\theta)[/tex]

Last edited:
Weave said:
Well,
Since: [tex]\sum F_{x}=\\w_{x}\\-f_{s}=\\0[/tex] Newtons First Law because we want no net force/accleration
[tex]f_{s}=\\w_{x}[/tex]
[tex]f_{s}=\\mgsin(\theta)[/tex]
Careful about using the ramp as a reference, which I think is what you are doing here. Since the ramp is accelerating it is a non-inertial frame.

hi I'm having trouble with this question s well, though i have different numbers. but just in terms of setting it up, i was able to calculate the vertical forces acting on the small block, but what is the acceleration supposed to be?

I have

Fy=F_s - mgsin(theta)=ma

what is a supposed to be? 0? I think it should be 0, because you want zero acceleration, but then what to do with the ramp forces..?

or should the accelerations of the block and ramp be the same?

1. What is an inclined ramp problem?

An inclined ramp problem is a physics problem that involves a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, also known as an inclined plane or ramp. This problem typically involves an object moving up or down the ramp, and the goal is to calculate various factors such as the object's acceleration, velocity, and tension forces.

2. How do you calculate the force of gravity in an inclined ramp problem?

The force of gravity in an inclined ramp problem can be calculated using the formula Fg = mg sinθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and θ is the angle of inclination. This formula takes into account the angle of the ramp and the object's weight.

3. What is the difference between an inclined plane and an inclined ramp?

There is no difference between an inclined plane and an inclined ramp. These terms are often used interchangeably and refer to the same object, a flat surface that is tilted at an angle.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect an object's motion on an inclined ramp?

The angle of inclination has a direct impact on an object's motion on an inclined ramp. As the angle increases, the force of gravity acting on the object also increases, causing the object to accelerate faster down the ramp. On the other hand, a smaller angle of inclination results in a smaller force of gravity and slower acceleration.

5. What are some real-life applications of the inclined ramp problem?

The inclined ramp problem has many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed and trajectory of objects rolling down a hill, determining the maximum weight that can be loaded onto a truck bed, and understanding the mechanics of wheelchair ramps. This concept is also important in engineering design, such as designing ramps for buildings and roads.