Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Including eps figures in Latex

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    I want to include a graph in eps file format in a Latex paper and I'm having some trouble. I have read a few online tutorials, but I can't seem to make any headway. I started by putting the eps file to be included in the same folder that my latex document is saved to. Then I included \usepackage{graphicx} in my preamble. I then tried to use \includegraphics{woodSaxon.eps} where woodSaxon is the name of the file I wanted to include. This gave me a Latex compiler error entitled "Unknown graphics extension: .eps". Does anyone know what my problem is? Thanks,
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

what is your latex command?

is it pdflatex ...?
    does latex ... work?
  4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say latex command. If you’re referring to experience using latex, then this is the first time I have attempted to include graphics. I have created papers just containing equations and text that turned out fine. My output is pdf, if that specifies pdflatex. My whole document looks fine when I create a pdf, I just can't get it to compile when I try to include the image because of the error I described in the first post. If it helps I'm using Texnic Center with Miktex 2.7.
  5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

apparently, pdflatex doesn't work well with .eps files directly (e.g. http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/blog/archives/000425.html )

I don't use pdflatex myself.
    What I do is (using MiKTeX)
    latex myfile ; dvips myfile ; then I use ghostscript to convert the .ps to .pdf
    (all of this in a little shell script)
  6. Jan 30, 2009 #5
    Turns out TeXnicCenter has a Latex=>PS=>PDF option that did the trick. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?