Incoherent Waves: Interference Possible?

• I
  • Thread starter Spar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary: Yes, there can be some energy redistribution, but it depends on the specific conditions and factors involved. It is possible for interference to occur without significant energy redistribution.
Spar
Is interference of incoherent waves possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Possible? Sure. Not sure how useful or interesting, but sure. Think about water waves.

Likes Spar
Spar said:
Is interference of incoherent waves possible?

If I understand you correctly, the answer is 'yes'. In optics, intensity correlations are often referred to as the Hanbury-Brown-Twiss effect.

Likes Spar
Speaking as a blue water sailor, I also say yes. In fact we have the phrase "rogue wave" for the case when several ocean waves from several directions interfere positively.

We also have the phrase "confused seas" for the case when multiple trains of waves arrive from different directions with different periods, amplitudes & phases. To the person riding in a small boat, it feels random. But it isn't really random.

Likes Spar
Thank you.
Vanadium 50 said:
Think about water waves.
And how do interfering incoherent water waves look like?

Spar said:
And how do interfering incoherent water waves look like?

Wet.

This is what I meant by "not useful or interesting". There isn't a simple answer, and since there's not a simple answer, it's not terribly interesting.

Likes vortextor
Vanadium 50 said:
Wet.
I mean... Is this interference of incoherent water waves?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4uc0MSemzEcVlF9-6lx0B_931LeMR-uBHG1rowJk62KppBPDJl3G05U0cYg.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4uc0MSemzEcVlF9-6lx0B_931LeMR-uBHG1rowJk62KppBPDJl3G05U0cYg.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4uc0MSemzEcVlF9-6lx0B_931LeMR-uBHG1rowJk62KppBPDJl3G05U0cYg.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 775
anorlunda said:
Yes

But is there no energy redistribution?
Is interference without redistribution possible?

Last edited:

1. What are incoherent waves?

Incoherent waves are waves that have no consistent phase relationship with each other. This means that the peaks and troughs of the waves do not align, resulting in a random or chaotic pattern.

2. How do incoherent waves differ from coherent waves?

Coherent waves have a consistent phase relationship, meaning that the peaks and troughs of the waves align in a predictable pattern. Incoherent waves, on the other hand, have no consistent phase relationship and therefore do not exhibit interference effects.

3. Is interference possible with incoherent waves?

No, interference is not possible with incoherent waves. Interference occurs when two or more waves combine and their amplitudes either add or cancel each other out. This requires a consistent phase relationship, which is not present in incoherent waves.

4. Can incoherent waves be used in applications such as communication or imaging?

In general, incoherent waves are not used in applications such as communication or imaging because they do not exhibit interference effects and have a random or chaotic nature. However, they can be useful in certain cases such as noise reduction or random number generation.

5. How are incoherent waves generated?

Incoherent waves can be generated through various processes such as thermal radiation, spontaneous emission of light from excited atoms, or the superposition of many waves with random phases. They can also occur naturally, such as in ocean waves or seismic waves.