Income Tax Illegal: 16th Amendment Unratified, Refund?

In summary, there is a common urban legend that the 16th amendment, which allows the federal government to collect income tax, was never actually ratified. However, this is not true and politicians often ignore the constitution when it benefits them. There is also a belief that individuals should not have to pay income tax if they are not foreign businesses, but the 5th amendment protects against property being taken without due process. While some may wish that income tax was illegal, it is currently enforced and those who disagree can try to file a lawsuit or research more information on the topic.
cronxeh
Gold Member
The 16th amendment was never ratified, so why should individual citizens who are not foreign business pay federal income tax? IRS can not demand anything- matter of fact, shouldn't you file to get a full refund??

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, the 5th amendment says that no person shall be deprived of property without due process of law... unfortunately politicians are very good at ignoring the constitution when they want to.

I wish it is illegeal:rofl:

1. Is it true that the 16th Amendment, which allows for income tax, was never properly ratified?

There have been numerous claims that the 16th Amendment, which grants Congress the power to collect income taxes, was never properly ratified by the required number of states. However, this claim has been thoroughly debunked by legal experts and the courts have consistently upheld the amendment's validity.

2. Can I refuse to pay income tax if I believe it is illegal?

No, refusing to pay income tax is a violation of federal law and can result in penalties and even criminal charges. The legality of the 16th Amendment has been upheld by the Supreme Court and it is the responsibility of all citizens to pay their taxes.

3. Is there any evidence to support the claim that income tax is unconstitutional?

No, there is no credible evidence to support the claim that income tax is unconstitutional. The 16th Amendment was added to the Constitution through the proper ratification process and has been consistently upheld by the courts. Additionally, the power to collect taxes is granted to Congress by the Constitution.

4. Can I file for a refund if I have paid income tax in the past?

If you have paid income tax in the past, you are not eligible to file for a refund based on the claim that the 16th Amendment is illegal. The government does not recognize this claim and any attempts to file for a refund on this basis will likely be denied.

5. Are there any legal challenges currently being made against the 16th Amendment?

No, there are currently no active legal challenges against the 16th Amendment. While there have been attempts in the past to challenge its validity, these have been consistently rejected by the courts. The amendment remains a valid and integral part of the Constitution.