Incoming Flux? Outgoing Flux?

• Thread starter Geoffrey F. Miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary: F stands for Acoustic Magnetic Field. It's simply a model that tries to describe the sound waves that are produced by an electric motor.
Geoffrey F. Miller
Okay. Let's say you have a coil. You drop a magnet through it, which induces an emf (please explain what exactly an emf is). So, somehow Faraday's Law of Induction comes into play (please explain this law to me). Now you have an incoming and outgoing flux, right (I have no idea what this means)? I'm guessing that the incoming and outgoing flux are equal but opposite. Am I correct? What are the units of a flux? Why are the fluxes equal, that is, if they really are?

Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geoffrey F. Miller said:
Okay. Let's say you have a coil. You drop a magnet through it, which induces an emf (please explain what exactly an emf is). So, somehow Faraday's Law of Induction comes into play (please explain this law to me). Now you have an incoming and outgoing flux, right (I have no idea what this means)? I'm guessing that the incoming and outgoing flux are equal but opposite. Am I correct? What are the units of a flux? Why are the fluxes equal, that is, if they really are?
Most of your questions can be answered by carefully reading your text. At least that would give you some basic knowledge to build on.

An emf (archaic terminology meaning electo-motive force) is simply an induced potential difference or voltage between two points. Flux, or lines of force, is a purely geometrical model that helps us to think about magnetic fields. It not physically real.

If you think about lines of force around the magnet cutting across the loops of the wire, Faraday's law says that this induces (creates at a distance) a potential difference between the ends of the wire. The incoming and outgoing fluxes may be equal and opposite but they 'cut' at different times so the potential difference across the wires is in one direction as the magnet approaches the center of the coil and the other direction as it leaves.

AM

An emf (electromotive force) is a measure of the energy per unit charge that is converted from other forms of energy into electrical energy in a circuit. In simpler terms, it is the voltage generated by a changing magnetic field, such as when a magnet is dropped through a coil.

Faraday's Law of Induction states that the magnitude of the induced emf is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through a surface. In other words, the faster the magnetic field changes, the greater the induced emf will be.

The incoming flux refers to the magnetic field passing through the coil, while the outgoing flux refers to the magnetic field that is being emitted from the other side of the coil. When a magnet is dropped through the coil, the magnetic field passing through the coil changes, causing an induced emf and a corresponding outgoing flux.

The units of flux are typically measured in webers (Wb) in the SI system. The flux is equal to the product of the magnetic field strength and the area it passes through.

In this scenario, the incoming and outgoing fluxes are equal but opposite in direction. This is because of the conservation of energy - the energy that is converted from the changing magnetic field must have an equal and opposite effect on the other side of the coil. This is also known as Lenz's Law, which states that the direction of the induced current will always oppose the change that produced it.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of incoming and outgoing flux and their relationship in Faraday's Law of Induction.

1. What is incoming flux and outgoing flux?

Incoming flux and outgoing flux are terms used in physics to describe the flow of energy or particles through a specified area or boundary. Incoming flux refers to the amount of energy or particles entering a system, while outgoing flux refers to the amount leaving the system.

2. How is incoming flux and outgoing flux measured?

Incoming and outgoing flux can be measured using various instruments, such as sensors or detectors, that are designed to detect and quantify the energy or particles passing through a specific area or boundary. The units of measurement for flux can vary depending on the type of energy or particles being measured.

3. What factors can affect incoming flux and outgoing flux?

Several factors can influence incoming and outgoing flux, including the size and shape of the boundary, the type of energy or particles involved, and any barriers or obstructions that may affect the flow. Temperature, pressure, and other environmental conditions can also impact flux.

4. How do incoming flux and outgoing flux relate to conservation laws?

Incoming and outgoing flux are closely related to the principle of conservation of energy and the principle of conservation of mass. These laws state that the total amount of energy or mass in a closed system remains constant, and any changes in flux must be balanced by corresponding changes in other areas of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of incoming flux and outgoing flux?

Incoming and outgoing flux have numerous applications in various fields, including meteorology, ecology, and astrophysics. They are used to study and understand energy transfer processes, such as radiation and heat transfer, as well as particle transport in different environments. Flux measurements are also important in monitoring and predicting natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and ocean currents.