Calculating Incomplete Gamma Function for Complex Arguments

In summary, the integral \int_{ix}^{i\infty} e^{-t} t^{-s-1}dt, where x>0, s>0, can be calculated by substituting u = -it and using the incomplete Gamma function \Gamma(s,ix). The integral's value is determined using the analytic continuation of the incomplete Gamma function for complex arguments.
bruno67
How do I calculate the integral

[tex]\int_{ix}^{i\infty} e^{-t} t^{-s-1}dt,[/tex]
where [itex]x>0[/itex], [itex]s>0[/itex]? Mathematica gives [itex]\Gamma(-s,ix)[/itex], where [itex]\Gamma(\cdot,\cdot)[/itex] is the incomplete gamma function, but I am not sure how to justify this formally.

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute u = -it, so the integral is from x to inf.

The incomplete Gamma function is defined by the integral

[tex]\Gamma(s,x) = \int_{x}^\infty dt~t^{s-1}e^{-t}.[/tex]

Replacing x with ix formally gives [itex]\Gamma(s,ix)[/itex]. However, the meaning of the integral with lower bound ix is really just formal, I think. You identify the integral with the incomplete Gamma function, and then you determine the "integral's" value by using the analytic continuation of the incomplete Gamma function for complex arguments.

Last edited:

1. What is the Incomplete Gamma Function?

The Incomplete Gamma Function is a mathematical function that is used to calculate the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a certain value in a Gamma distribution. It is denoted as Γ(s, x) where s is the shape parameter and x is the upper limit of integration.

2. How is the Incomplete Gamma Function used in science?

The Incomplete Gamma Function is used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to calculate probabilities in Gamma distributions, which are commonly used to model various natural phenomena such as radioactive decay and queueing systems.

3. What is the relationship between the Incomplete Gamma Function and the Gamma Function?

The Incomplete Gamma Function is a special case of the Gamma Function, where the lower limit of integration is 0. In other words, Γ(s, 0) is equivalent to the Gamma Function, denoted as Γ(s). The Incomplete Gamma Function is also related to the complementary Gamma Function, denoted as Γc(s, x) = 1 - Γ(s, x).

4. How is the Incomplete Gamma Function calculated?

The Incomplete Gamma Function can be calculated using various methods such as series expansion, continued fractions, or using specialized software such as Mathematica or MATLAB. It can also be approximated using numerical integration techniques.

5. Can the Incomplete Gamma Function handle complex numbers?

Yes, the Incomplete Gamma Function can handle complex numbers as long as the shape parameter and the upper limit of integration are also complex numbers. This allows for the use of the Incomplete Gamma Function in complex analysis and other areas of mathematics.