Is the pursuit of ultimate truth futile for humans?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, humans are built to approximate answers rather than seek ultimate truth. This is due to the way our brains are wired and may be the reason that artificial intelligence is not successful. Some may argue that this supports the idea of a higher being designing our minds, but this is just a linguistic shorthand. By grounding ourselves in practical knowledge, we may discover our true being, which can be seen as an "ultimate truth." However, the concept of ultimate truth may be impossible to fully grasp, and what may appear as an ultimate truth to one person may just be a "good enough for you truth." Ultimately, ideas and ideals such as truth, harmony, and authenticity can be understood but are difficult to capture in language. It is important
Being open-minded is fine...being open-minded to evidence, that is. If the evidence points one way, we need to follow that way to its conclusion. How do you follow lack of evidence?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Zero
Being open-minded is fine...being open-minded to evidence, that is. If the evidence points one way, we need to follow that way to its conclusion. How do you follow lack of evidence?
Which evidence is that? That which is external, but can only be evaluated internally, because this is the only means by which you have to evaluate anything? Hence I'm afraid all you can really do is chalk it up to "subjective experience." Which, need not be a problem though, if in fact you understand this is an honest assessment of how the mind works.

In which case it's this same process, that is if you will begin to listen, that will give you insight into yourself and just about everything else. In fact, you can say this is the means by which God speaks to you man (through the means of honest assessment). Although granted, you need not necessarily make the "God association" in order to understand who you are.

Originally posted by Iacchus32
Which evidence is that? That which is external, but can only be evaluated internally, because this is the only means by which you have to evaluate anything? Hence I'm afraid all you can really do is chalk it up to "subjective experience." Which, need not be a problem though, if in fact you understand this is an honest assessment of how the mind works.

In which case it's this same process, that is if you will begin to listen, that will give you insight into yourself and just about everything else. In fact, you can say this is the means by which God speaks to you man (through the means of honest assessment). Although granted, you need not necessarily make the "God association" in order to understand who you are.
Blah blah blah...your created mythological god again?

The question is, to my sense: evidence of what? It is relatively obvious that once we have evidence of something that points one way, then "we need to follow that way to its conclusion". That is fine. But -- as Zero's question about lack of evidence shows -- the preliminaries are the tricky part. To my sense, already there an openness of mind is rather useful.

But maybe I should give an example. Logic cannot be proved as such; only specific logics can be proved (e.g. modal, fuzzy, etc.). Goedel's theorem is there for clarifying this. So how can we have evidence of logic as such? What I have called 'listening' is the 'dimension' that allowed Goedel (in this example) to think clearly the thorny issue. He sought evidence where there was none.

Last edited:
Blah blah blah...your created mythological god again?
The "evidence" is within. Always has and always will be. Now, if you wish to associate that evidence with the "myth of evolution," then that's another story I guess? ...

So what is the evidence to anything if we are unable to mirror it within? How do we "know" that it's true? Isn't that afterall what makes us Human, our ability to do this?

…So what is the evidence to anything if we are unable to mirror it within? How do we "know" that it's true? …
By believing?
The established method is to validate the evidence under controlled conditions by independent inquires. This is why it is natural even for idealist minded individuals to relate their experiences/observations to others…

Ask yourself; can I validate that which is within another?

The "evidence" is within. Always has and always will be.
The counter argument to ‘knowing’ there is a deity through wholly personal inner experience goes something like this;

1a) you tell me that you stubbed your toe and it is swollen.
This I can accept at face value.

1b) you then tell me the reason you stubbed your toe was due, say, to the actions of another individual.
This I cannot accept at face value.

2a) you tell me you have had an overpowering and irresistible feeling that you have been in the presence of a deity.

2b) you then tell me a deity was responsible for the feeling you had.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
By believing?
The established method is to validate the evidence under controlled conditions by independent inquires. This is why it is natural even for idealist minded individuals to relate their experiences/observations to others…
But don't you believe we're endowed with the capabilties to see things for ourselves? Or else how would we be able to know "the truth" of anything? Indeed, seeing is believing.

Ask yourself; can I validate that which is within another?
Sure you can, if you've been given the capacity to experience the same thing.

The counter argument to ‘knowing’ there is a deity through wholly personal inner experience goes something like this;

1a) you tell me that you stubbed your toe and it is swollen.

1b) you then tell me the reason you stubbed your toe was due, say, to the actions of another individual.

2a) you tell me you have had an overpowering and irresistible feeling that you have been in the presence of a deity.

2b) you then tell me a deity was responsible for the feeling you had.
Truth is revealed to us through our experience, and unless it is revealed to us in this way, then there is nothing to say we should have to accept it. Again, seeing is believing. :wink:

But don't you believe we're endowed with the capabilties to see things for ourselves? Or else how would we be able to know "the truth" of anything? Indeed, seeing is believing.
Maybe I’m just not ‘seeing’ the same thing you are…

Sure you can, if you've been given the capacity to experience the same thing.
What do you suppose are the implications of the word “if” in the above?

Truth is revealed to us through our experience…
Mistakes and falsity are likewise revealed, too.
If truths are revealed incrementally as the above seems to suggest, then stepping off the Tram prematurely may leave an individual shy of Terminal ‘T’...

…and unless it is revealed to us in this way, then there is nothing to say we should have to accept it. Again, seeing is believing. :wink:
Believing isn’t necessarily the same thing as knowing.

I feel sorry for the blind man who don't believing anything.

Belief does not require as a prerequisite, the ability to see.

The "evidence" is within. Always has and always will be. Now, if you wish to associate that evidence with the "myth of evolution," then that's another story I guess? ...

So what is the evidence to anything if we are unable to mirror it within? How do we "know" that it's true? Isn't that afterall what makes us Human, our ability to do this?
It doesn't count as evidence unless it can be shared with everyone, and everyone can agree on it...and that's without brainwashing or shrooms.

The "evidence" is within.
An interesting point that was brought to my attention just recently was the beliefs of the Pragmatist Philosopher John Dewey. Being someone heavily influenced by the discussions in these forums, when told that Dewey's stance was that there is no distinction between Inner and Outer, that the world that exists 'out there' is precisely the world we live in, and that's all there is, I questioned it.

Eventually I realized that I had no reasonable basis to ignore his points, being namely that the distinction between inner and outer is a relic of old outdated philosophy with no basis. The world exists, and we exist in it, and that's all there is to it.

I dunno, I haven't explained this incredibly well, but I don't know it very well yet. I just know that after a good discussion with my lecturer left me wondering...

The distinction of Inner versus Outer is indeed not a quality of reality, but a choice of humans. After all, as I stated some days earlier, the instance that judges the Inner and Outer is the same; it just happens to feel a lot closer to what it calls its Inner than to the Outer, because it has a more direct access to the first.

In times where knowledge is being defined as "justified true belief" (with ensuing woes like the Gettier problem), it is difficult to get out of the cage of belief at all. We should again focus on full universal certainty, not the usual fragmented theories and knowledge. Firmly believing that complete knowledge is impossible is the first step towards actually making it impossible. One should at least leave open a door to endeavors that seek to be better than that.

It would thus make sense to select approaches that don't fall into the trap of primal assumptions and hence subdivisions, and which can afford a truly universal categoreality. But that's not possible in the scope of traditional methodology. This is why I advocate another path than the traditional...

Last edited:
Originally posted by BoulderHead
Belief does not require as a prerequisite, the ability to see.
That would be blind faith then. In which case seeing is believing. :wink:

It doesn't count as evidence unless it can be shared with everyone, and everyone can agree on it...and that's without brainwashing or shrooms.
This is purely a myth. Since when are we going to get even two people to agree 100% on anything? It'll never happen ... except perhaps in "somebody else's" mind. :wink:

Originally posted by Another God
An interesting point that was brought to my attention just recently was the beliefs of the Pragmatist Philosopher John Dewey. Being someone heavily influenced by the discussions in these forums, when told that Dewey's stance was that there is no distinction between Inner and Outer, that the world that exists 'out there' is precisely the world we live in, and that's all there is, I questioned it.
Well he obviously wasn't a spiritualist. For if there is a spiritual side to our being, "interiorly," then the distinction must be made -- or, will be made, when we pass on. Of course to a staunch materialist, this doesn't bear any further consideration.

i can believe what i do not see. Seeing isn't the only sense we have. So blind faith is what you call those who believe without seeing? You can smell, touch, hear, and taste things also. If there was an apple pie in a picth black room I am sure you can believe that it is apple by by simply feeling, smelling and tasting it. Even your eyes can deceive you. Relying on your eyes to tell you what's true is being blind.

Originally posted by THANOS
i can believe what i do not see. Seeing isn't the only sense we have. So blind faith is what you call those who believe without seeing? You can smell, touch, hear, and taste things also. If there was an apple pie in a picth black room I am sure you can believe that it is apple by by simply feeling, smelling and tasting it. Even your eyes can deceive you. Relying on your eyes to tell you what's true is being blind.
Oh, I see what you mean. And I didn't see, taste, smell, feel or hear anything of it. Yes, seeing is believing. :wink:

Actually what you're doing here is mixing the physical with the abstract, either that or you're trying to confound me in a little game of semantics. Hmm ... I wonder how far back the expression "seeing is believing" goes anyway? It's not like I just happened to whip it out of my back pocket you know ...

Explain

In case this is a forum forum were we all know each other, I am Blu,

That would be blind faith then. In which case seeing is believing. :wink:
I once saw Siegfried & Roy make an elephant appear out of thin air. Seeing is believing! :wink:

Amazing!

Originally posted by blu
Explain

In case this is a forum forum were we all know each other, I am Blu,

Welcome to the PFs, Blu! :smile: