Troubleshooting Incomprehensible List Input in Fortran 77 Program

In summary, the conversation is about running a Fortran 77 program that was compiled using g77 and encountering an error related to invalid number and internal I/O. The program is supposed to read and analyze data files, but the error message suggests that the data in the files is in the wrong format. To fix this, quotes or an A format can be used when reading the character data.
snowdrop
Hi all,

I am trying to run a fortran 77 program which was compiled using g77 and it comes up with the following error ::

invalid number: incomprehensible list input
apparent state: internal I/O
lately reading sequential formatted internal IO
Abandon

:confused:

I want the program to read some data files and analyse them so I have written the list like this ::

file01.dat
file02.dat
file03.dat
file04.dat

I have no idea why this error is coming up... I have checked the program and he seems fine and I have declared the list in the declarations. The part of code used to open the file with the list of data files is the following ::

open (20,file=liste(1:lliste),form='formatted',status='old')

If anyone has any ideas what the problem could be.. :frown:

Thanks in advance :bugeye:

Technology news on Phys.org
The error message is about a read statement, not an open statement. If says the data in the file was in the wrong format.

If you want to do read character strings with list-directed I/O like

character*50 liste
read(*,*) (liste)

then the character strings in the data file must be in quotes

'file1.dat'
'file2.dat'

To read character data without the quotes, do a formatted read using A format:

read(*,'A') (liste)

Hi there,

It seems like the error is related to the way you are inputting the list of data files. The program is not able to read the list and is throwing the "incomprehensible list input" error. This could be due to a few reasons:

1. Check the format of the list. Are you using the correct syntax? Make sure you are using the correct quotation marks and delimiters.

2. Make sure the list is declared correctly in the program. Check for any typos or missing declarations.

3. Check the data files themselves. Are they in the correct format? Make sure they are not corrupted or have any missing values.

4. It could also be an issue with the compiler. Try using a different compiler or updating your current one to see if that resolves the issue.

I hope this helps. Good luck! 👍

1. What is "Incomprehensible list input?"

"Incomprehensible list input" refers to a type of data input that is difficult or impossible for a person to understand or interpret without additional context or explanation.

2. Why is "Incomprehensible list input" a problem?

"Incomprehensible list input" can be a problem because it can lead to errors or misunderstandings in data analysis or processing. Additionally, it can make it difficult for others to replicate or build upon research findings.

3. What are some examples of "Incomprehensible list input?"

Examples of "Incomprehensible list input" include data sets with missing or incorrect labels, non-standard abbreviations or symbols, and inconsistent formatting or units.

4. How can "Incomprehensible list input" be addressed?

"Incomprehensible list input" can be addressed by carefully reviewing and cleaning data before analysis, using standardized formats and labels, and providing clear documentation and explanations for any non-standard or complex data.

5. What are the consequences of not addressing "Incomprehensible list input?"

Not addressing "Incomprehensible list input" can lead to inaccurate or misleading results, wasted time and resources, and difficulties in replicating or building upon research findings. It can also impact the credibility and reproducibility of scientific studies.