How to Solve These Chemistry Exam Questions?

• Thread starter g-funk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the person is asking for help understanding two questions from an exam they got wrong. They provide the question and mention that they were unable to attend the lecture after the exam. They also mention that they have attempted the questions but are unable to share their work on this site. They request an answer so they can understand where they went wrong in their working.
g-funk
hi guys
these were some questions i got wrong in a an exam, i was unable to attend the lecture following the exam so i am not sure how to do these two questions that i got wrong i have working, although it is to complicated to put on htis site if anyone can ghet an answer, that would be great then i might know were i went wrong in my working out. cheers

Question 12

A current of 3.97 A is passed through an electrolytic cell containing a dilute sulfuric acid solution for 3.66 hours. Calculate the total volume of gases (in L) generated at 0oC and 100 kPa.
Do not use scientific notation for your answer
R = 8.314 kPa L mol-1K-1 and F = 96480 C mol-1

Question 13 (1.0 points)

Technetium-99( atomic mass 98.9 daltons) is used for bone scans. It has a half-life of 6.0 hours. How many disintegrations can you expect from 60.46 mg technetium-99 in 1 second? (Answer to 3 significant figures and use form eg. 1.10e15 for 1.10 x 1015)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The working is not too complicated to write down. If you think it is, then say what steps you took, and what final answer you got.

We can not respond until we see some work from you.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you got these questions wrong on your exam. It can be frustrating when we don't understand how to solve certain problems. I'll do my best to explain the solutions to these questions.

Question 12:

To solve this question, we need to use the formula Q = It, where Q is the charge in coulombs, I is the current in amperes, and t is the time in seconds. Since we are given the current and time, we can calculate the charge as follows:

Q = (3.97 A)(3.66 hours)(3600 seconds/hour) = 52,451.2 C

Next, we need to use the formula PV = nRT to calculate the volume of gas generated. We are given the pressure (100 kPa), temperature (0oC = 273 K), and the gas constant (R = 8.314 kPa L mol-1K-1). We can also find the number of moles of gas (n) using the formula n = Q/F, where Q is the charge we calculated earlier and F is the Faraday constant (96480 C mol-1). Therefore:

n = (52,451.2 C)/(96480 C mol-1) = 0.5435 mol

Now, we can plug all of this information into the PV = nRT equation and solve for V (volume):

V = (0.5435 mol)(8.314 kPa L mol-1K-1)(273 K)/(100 kPa) = 11.13 L

So, the total volume of gas generated is 11.13 L.

Question 13:

To solve this question, we need to use the equation N = N0(e^-λt), where N is the final number of disintegrations, N0 is the initial number of disintegrations, λ is the decay constant (ln2/t1/2), and t is the time in seconds. We are given the half-life of technetium-99 (6.0 hours = 21600 seconds) and the amount of technetium-99 (60.46 mg). We can find N0 by converting the mass to moles and then using Avogadro's number:

N0 = (60.46 mg)/(98.9 g/mol)/(6.022x10^23 particles/mol) = 9

1. What are incorrect exam questions?

Incorrect exam questions are questions that are either phrased incorrectly, have errors in the answer choices, or have incorrect information. These types of questions can lead to confusion and may result in incorrect answers.

2. How do incorrect exam questions affect test scores?

Incorrect exam questions can have a negative impact on test scores as they can cause students to choose the wrong answer or become unsure of the correct answer. This can result in a lower overall score on the exam.

3. Why do incorrect exam questions exist?

Incorrect exam questions can exist for a variety of reasons. It could be due to human error in creating the exam or lack of proper review and editing. It could also be intentional, such as to test critical thinking skills or to challenge students.

4. How can students prepare for incorrect exam questions?

One way students can prepare for incorrect exam questions is by practicing with a variety of different types of questions and learning how to identify incorrect information. They can also ask their teachers for clarification on any confusing or incorrect questions.

5. What can teachers do to prevent incorrect exam questions?

Teachers can take several steps to prevent incorrect exam questions. These include thoroughly reviewing and editing the exam before administering it, seeking feedback from other teachers, and using reliable sources for exam questions. They can also offer students opportunities for feedback and review after the exam to address any incorrect questions.