1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incorrect Wikipedia Article?

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1
    Hey folks,

I'm currently studying sequences and the like in Calc 2, and I went to Wikipedia for another explaination about them. The example given in the article located here seems to be incorrect to me.

The example is this:

[itex]\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }{2}^{-n} = 2[/itex]

I was thinking it's equal to zero though, since when n is really large, then the bottom gets really big so the whole fraction would head to zero.

Am I wrong or is the author wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2
    This is a series, and not a sequence.

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say o:) ... but should that change the answer?

5. Mar 12, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, yes. A "series", a "sum of a series", a "sequence", and a "limit of a sequence" are all very different things.

6. Mar 12, 2006 #5
    You're thinking of [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} 2^{-n}[/itex], which is zero. However [itex]\sum 2^{-n} = 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \cdots[/itex] isn't zero.

7. Mar 12, 2006 #6
    Yes, that answer is correct. [tex]1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \cdots[/tex] does indeed equal 2.

I probably solve simple series like this in a unique way, but I tend to imagine it in the number base 2 (binary). This would essentially be 1.11111111 repeating. This is like our 9.9999 repeating = 10, only that in binary is 2.

8. Mar 13, 2006 #7

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Uhmmm, I am sorry to tell you this, but you are wrong, not the author... :tongue2:
    This is a geometric series with the first term 1, and the common ratio r = 1 / 2.
    So apply the formula to find the sum of the first n terms of a geometric series, we have:
    [tex]S_n = a_1 \frac{1 - r ^ n}{1 - r}[/tex]
    Now r = 1 / 2. So |r| < 1, that means:
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} r ^ n = 0[/tex]
    Now let n increase without bound to get the sum:
    [tex]\sum_{n = 0} ^ {\infty} 2 ^ {-n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} S_n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_1 \frac{1 - r ^ n}{1 - r} = \frac{a_1}{1 - r} = \frac{1}{1 - \frac{1}{2}} = 2[/tex].
    Can you get this? :)
    -------------
    @ KingNothing: Have you leant geometric series? We don't need to complicate the problem in binary, though. Just my $0.02.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  9. Mar 13, 2006 #8
    Doh!! I get it now! Thanks folks... and I apologize for my confusion :(... it's all a little complicated when you first learn it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?