Increase in compressibility when pressure is applied

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of increasing compressibility in a system under high pressure, and the search for references and explanations for this behavior. The speaker is seeking help from others who may have experience with similar materials.
tomkeus
I was running some structural relaxations under constant pressure, and found out that my system has compressibility which increases when pressure is applied. Of course, this is only up to a point, since at pressure high enough, phase transition will occur and compressibility will drop sharply.

But, in the phase where compressibility is rising, I find this behavior quite peculiar. No one in my group has any particular experience with materials under high pressure and I was trying to find some references to materials that behave like this, and possible explanation, but I was unable to get anything from my searches.

Can anyone help me with some references on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a similar issue. I'm running some structural relaxations under constant pressure, and my system also has increasing compressibility with increased pressure. I haven't been able to find any references or explanations so far. Does anyone know of any materials that behave like this and/or have an explanation for this behavior? Any help would be much appreciated.

What causes an increase in compressibility when pressure is applied?

The increase in compressibility when pressure is applied is due to the decrease in intermolecular distance between molecules. As pressure is applied, the molecules are pushed closer together, increasing the likelihood of collisions and reducing the amount of space between them.

How does the compressibility of a substance change with pressure?

The compressibility of a substance generally increases with increasing pressure. This is because the molecules become more tightly packed and are easier to compress at higher pressures.

What factors can affect the compressibility of a substance when pressure is applied?

The compressibility of a substance can be affected by various factors, including temperature, molecular size, and intermolecular forces. Higher temperatures and larger molecules generally result in lower compressibility, while stronger intermolecular forces increase compressibility.

What role does the arrangement of molecules play in the compressibility of a substance?

The arrangement of molecules has a significant impact on the compressibility of a substance. In a tightly packed arrangement, such as in a solid, the molecules are less compressible. In a more disordered arrangement, such as in a gas, the molecules are more easily compressed.

Why is it important to understand the relationship between pressure and compressibility?

Understanding the relationship between pressure and compressibility is important in many scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It allows us to predict how substances will behave under different pressures and to design materials and structures that can withstand high pressures without significant deformation.