Analyzing the Increase in EGL at Uni Lab | Dan

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    increase
In summary, the conversation was about a lab where the conservation of energy for a fluid flowing through a pipe with obstructions was examined. The setup was a horizontal pipe with 18 manometers placed evenly along it, and two obstructions - a venturi meter and an orifice plate. Based on the pressure measurements and known flow rate, an energy grade line (EGL) and hydraulic grade line (HGL) were plotted. However, there was a slight increase in total head at two manometers, which is not expected according to energy conservation principles. This happened in all four trials and was attributed to a possible calculation error due to turbulence and the effective area of fluid flow. The question being asked was for a possible reason for this discrepancy
danago
Gold Member
I recently attended a lab at uni where we were required to examine the conservation of energy for a fluid steadily flowing through a pipe with a series of obstructions.

The actual setup was quite simple; A pipe of length ~4m ran horizontally (no change in elevation throughout the whole flow) with a series of 18 manometers evenly positioned along the tube. Along the pipe were two obstructions:

- A venturi meter
- An orifice plate

Based on the pressure measurements along the pipe, along with the known mass flow rate through the tube, we were required to plot an energy grade line (EGL) and hydraulic grade line (HGL). Now based on energy conservation principles, i know that the EGL should never increase (there were no sources of energy such as a pump), but should instead steadily decrease due to major and minor losses throughout the flow. However, this is not exactly the case that i found in doing my calculation:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4519/eglhgl.jpg

Note that at manometers 12 and 13, the total head of the fluid increased very slightly. With regards to the obstructions mentioned above, manometer 12 is about 0.2m after the venturi exit, and manometer 13 is immediately in front of the orifice plate.

We conducted four different trials at different flow rates, and the exact same thing happened each time. Now i do understand that this is not possible, so it must be due to a calculation error. The reason i first proposed for this discrepancy is that because of the flow obstructions and resulting turbulence, the actual "effective" area of fluid flow may not have been the same as the cross section area of the pipe, perhaps leading to a misleading calculation of the velocity head?

The question i am asking is -- What possible reason is there for this misleading jump in the EGL, and is there a simple way to account for it in my calculations?

Thanks very much, any help is greatly appreciated,
Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To help in answering my question, here is a diagram of the setup that was used:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1954/setupfp.jpg

The manometer scale corrosponds to the manometer scale used on the EGL/HGL plot in the first post.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is EGL at Uni Lab and why is it important?

EGL stands for "Effective Gross Leasable Area" and it refers to the total area of a building that is available for lease. It is an important metric for businesses, investors, and property owners as it helps determine the potential revenue and profitability of a space.

2. What factors contribute to an increase in EGL at Uni Lab?

There are several factors that can contribute to an increase in EGL at Uni Lab, such as renovations or expansions of existing spaces, new construction projects, and changes in leasing agreements or tenants.

3. How is the increase in EGL measured and calculated?

The increase in EGL is typically measured by comparing the current EGL to a previous time period, such as the previous year. It is calculated by subtracting the previous EGL from the current EGL and dividing by the previous EGL, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage increase.

4. What are the potential benefits of an increase in EGL at Uni Lab?

An increase in EGL can have several benefits, including higher rental income, increased property value, and improved occupancy rates. It can also attract new businesses and investors, leading to potential growth and expansion opportunities.

5. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to an increase in EGL at Uni Lab?

While an increase in EGL can bring many benefits, it may also come with challenges such as increased competition for tenants, higher maintenance and operating costs, and potential strain on resources and infrastructure. It is important for property owners and managers to carefully consider these factors and plan accordingly to ensure the long-term success of the space.