Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increase self confidence

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
  2. No

12 vote(s)
  3. It's worth to give them a try!

14 vote(s)
  1. Jul 15, 2005 #1

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2005 #2

Gold Member

4. Jul 15, 2005 #3
    I don't think it could hurt, more so if you lack self-esteem
  5. Jul 15, 2005 #4

Gold Member

No, you'll end up with less self-esteem when you realize how you were simply fooled into thinking theres more to you then there really is :D
  6. Jul 15, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I didn't vote because I honestly don't know the answer. People are so various, and what wouldn't work for me might be a lifesaver for someone else. I mean even the screwiest new age things seem to give some people a boost.
  7. Jul 15, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Easy to echo that sentiment .... surprisingly some really seem to get something out of courses like this one.
  8. Jul 15, 2005 #7

Gold Member

Unless of course your one of those people whos sole purpose in life seems to be to put themselves down. Then again with my experiences witht hose people in mind, i dont see how a course would change that.
  9. Jul 15, 2005 #8

Gold Member

What is certain is that it won't work for those who don't believe it.For the rest, I think it could be kind of self-hypnosis.
  10. Jul 16, 2005 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd say give it a try as long as it's free. I don't honestly think self-help things like that are sufficiently individualized to really help someone with the cause of their self-esteem issues, but maybe for some people it would work, even if not for all of them.
  11. Jul 4, 2006 #10
    Here is your free self help zone....

check it out

12. Jul 9, 2006 #11
    I think it's just a way of convincing yourself.
  13. Jul 9, 2006 #12
    it really worked on me... from a shy person to a person who has self esteem

" I believed in myself, i choose to have a great attitude about life & i will
    develop self-confidence so that i can experience positive change in a culture of excellence"

no man is an island
  14. Jul 9, 2006 #13

Gold Member

I voted that it's worth a try, but honestly, these things hardly work...and usually contain some person rambling on about how listening will make you feel better...
  15. Jul 13, 2006 #14

Staff: Mentor

I voted for "it's worth a try", but reading the link, I am not so sure about that particular program.

Under "self esteem facts", there is a link to too "high self esteem" and the following:

This seems more to do with egotism or egoism, than self-esteem. Esteem is a manifestation of regard -- high esteem = high regard.

I don't see people who boast or feel superior necessarily hold themselves in high regard, but perhaps some do. :rolleyes:

Self esteem = a confidence and satisfaction in oneself : SELF-RESPECT, although it can apparently be used to describe - SELF-CONCEIT - which is an exaggerated opinion of one's own qualities or abilities, synonymous with VANITY.

I tend to agree with yomamma's point. One could simply end up listening to someone ramble on about the exceedingly obvious.

The point is for one to think about one's self and develop a positive self-realization - that comes from within, not without.
  16. Jul 13, 2006 #15
    Give it a try, but only if it doesnt involve handing over money.
  17. Jul 14, 2006 #16

Gold Member

1st step in increasing self steam: You can increase your self steam if you really want that. No need to some silly links and articles. Eh? am I being too sure of myself here? Perhaps... but that's the way I feel!:wink: Although I think it's not a bad idea to get help and suggestion from some experts and experienced people.

They always say it's free but you need to buy that CD,.. if you want that works!:zzz:
  18. Aug 24, 2006 #17
    On our confidence and on the quality of our lives, self-belief has a profound effect. If a person considers that to solve problems, he lacks basic skills, then he may lose heart and give up. On the contrary, a person who has less abilities but who believes in himself stands a much better chance of being successful. This is for the reason that his self-belief gives him the confidence to try.

19. Aug 26, 2006 #18
    Confidence can be learned, I think, but esteem cannot. This is because esteem is dependent on what other people say about you and your work, how much your work benefits people, and so forth. Confidence is dependent only on you and how you manage your decisions.

This is just my opinion, of course. I have had problems with self-esteem, but I don't have any problems with confidence! :smile:
  20. Sep 4, 2006 #19

21. Sep 5, 2006 #20

Gold Member

I'd say give it a try.

The stuff usually doesn't work for me, since I'm a pompous ass already
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?