Increase Flow Speed: Improve Efficiency with Vortex Generators or Shark Skin

In summary, the author is considering using vortex generators to increase the flow speed of fluids through a tube. He is also considering using a surface resembling shark skin to increase the speed. He is also considering adding energy in form of heat to the tube.
Becks
Hey I am attempting to increase the flow speed of fluids (air, water, what have you) through a tube for a project, in an attempt to make the flow faster and more efficent. I've debated using vortex generators inside the tube, or perhaps a surface resembling shark skin. If anyone has any imput here I would greatly appreciate it. :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well the continuity equation for "dry water" (ideal fluids) says:

[tex] Av = Constant [/tex] where A is transversal area and v is speed, so the smaller the area the faster the fluid speed.

yes, but I need to keep the tube at roughly 2.5 inches, so how would I cause air to flow faster through the constant sized tube? Note the air will start at an unvariable speed.

Becks said:
yes, but I need to keep the tube at roughly 2.5 inches, so how would I cause air to flow faster through the constant sized tube? Note the air will start at an unvariable speed.

Heating the tube. Adding energy in heat form you will increase the flow speed.

PD: It has a limit, but surely you are at #Mach<<1 and therefore it doesn't matter.

The air traveling through the tube is already heated and cannot be changed. Basicly this for a project on how to increase the speed of a car exhaust's system by changing the interior surface of the tubing.

Are you able to put a 'shute' in front of the section of pipe? A funnel out in front of your test section would increase the velocity.

Could you explain how the shute would work? The exhaust header feeds directly into the exhaust pipes, so would it go right at the header? Also, would changing the surface of the pipes do anything? Vortex Generators? Tubercles? shark skin texture?

Oh sorry. your post on the application wasn't up when I posted my part

What is the basis of vortex generators. It would seem that a passive vortex generator would use some of the flows axial momentum to generate the vortex and thus impede the axial flow.

On the other hand, rifling the bore without decreasing the cross sectional area.

See "laminar flow around a golf ball !" at http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aerojava/faq_princ_flight2.htm
(you'll have to use Edit/Find with the browser on that page)

"Dimpling like a the surface of a gold ball might help. But golf ball surfaces have been optimized and I don't know if that effect has been applied to closed channels.The golf balls without dimples would have a higher drag coefficient as seen in many pictures found in Schlichting's book on Boundary Layer Theory. However, dimples are placed to trip the flow from laminar to turbulent and keeping it attached for a longer distance along the golf balls' surface, . . ."

Last edited:
Becks - I would assume you're talking about doing things beyond the typical use mandrel bends instead of crinkle bends, minimizing the number of bends, ceramic coatings and so on that are existing means of maximizing flow.

If you're trying to simply optimize flow that is one thing, but if you are trying to optimize flow over a certain range of operation that is another. The exhaust gases are pulsed so its more like an AC current with a large DC offset to use an electrical analogy. So like on the induction side where intake tract and plenum dimensions are factors, you may be able to take advantage of this and create another version of the "Tri-Y" headers used on cars or the 4-2-1 motorcycle headers.

There is research out there on just the benefits of having a "H" or "X" pipe in the exhaust for a true dual exhaust and the predominant theory has to do with an effective reduction in the impedance presented to the pulses. No idea on the validity of the theory and if any data was collected or if it was speculation, but might be something you could take advantage of as well.

Cliff

Basically, what the problem comes down to is viscosity.

You're trying to minimize the surface effects of the fluid along the interior surfaces of the pipe.

Since viscosity is the product of shear stress at the wall surface and the gradient of the axial velocity at the wall, that's your answer...

You need to minimize both the shear stress and the velocity gradient. Do some quick research and see how both of these can be minimized.

Hope that helps...

1. What are vortex generators and how do they improve flow speed?

Vortex generators are small devices that are attached to the surface of an object, such as an airplane wing or a ship hull. They create small vortices, or swirling currents, which help to energize and stabilize the boundary layer of air or water flowing over the surface. This allows for smoother and faster flow, resulting in improved efficiency.

2. How does shark skin help to increase flow speed?

Shark skin has a unique texture that is made up of tiny scales called dermal denticles. These denticles create a riblet structure that reduces drag and turbulence when water flows over it. This results in a more streamlined flow and can increase flow speed by up to 10%.

3. What types of objects can benefit from using vortex generators or shark skin?

Vortex generators and shark skin can be used on a variety of objects, including airplanes, ships, wind turbines, and even swimsuits for athletes. Essentially, any object that needs to move through a fluid, whether it be air or water, can benefit from these technologies.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using vortex generators or shark skin?

One potential drawback is the added weight and complexity of incorporating these technologies into an object. Additionally, shark skin can be expensive to replicate and maintain. However, the benefits in increased flow speed and efficiency often outweigh these drawbacks.

5. Are there any other techniques or technologies for increasing flow speed?

Yes, there are several other methods that can be used to improve flow speed, such as using airfoils, spoilers, or winglets. Additionally, there are various materials and coatings that can be applied to surfaces to reduce drag and improve flow. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and design of an object before choosing the most effective method for increasing flow speed.