How Long Does It Take for a Copper Sphere's Potential to Increase by 1000V?

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, a solid copper sphere with a radius of 1.0cm and a thin surface coating of radioactive nickel atoms has an activity of 10mCi and is isolated from its surroundings. To increase the potential of the sphere by 1000V, one must calculate the necessary net charge Q using the electric field formula E = kQ/r^2 and then divide it by the charge of an electron to find the number of electrons needed. However, there was an error in the formula provided for the electric field outside a charged conducting sphere, and the correct formula is E = kQ/r^2.
Hyperreality
A solid copper sphere whose radius is 1.0cm has a very thin surface coating of nickel. Some of the nickel atoms are radioactive and emit an electron with each decay. Due to the geometry of the situation, half of these electrons enter the copper sphere, each carrying away a charge of -e. The nickel coating has an activity of 10mCi(millicuries) = 3.70 x 10^8 radioactive decays per second. The sphere is hung from a long, nonconducting string and isolated from its surroundings.

How long will it takefor the potential of the sphere to increase by 1000V?

While it is easy to work out the net charge of copper = the no. of -e decayed, and the energy gained by copper, I don't really know what they meant by potentials of the sphere in this case. Since potential has unit of Joules / Coulomb, does it mean that in this case,

Potentials = Total Energy Gain / Total charge of the sphere??

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential is the energy required (to charge)per unit charge or dU/dq

I had a think of the problem, afterwards. Below is my working. Potentials is created via the existence of an electric field. So, the electric field needed is

E = V / r.
V = 1000, r = 0.01m
Then put

E = kQ / r and obtain a value for the total net charge Q required.

Then use the Q / e to find the number of electrons.

Is this the correct way in solving the problem? Here I'm assuming that the surface potential are same at all point.

Hyperreality said:
I had a think of the problem, afterwards. Below is my working. Potentials is created via the existence of an electric field. So, the electric field needed is

E = V / r.
V = 1000, r = 0.01m
Then put

E = kQ / r and obtain a value for the total net charge Q required.

Then use the Q / e to find the number of electrons.

Is this the correct way in solving the problem? Here I'm assuming that the surface potential are same at all point.
there's an error in your formula for E outside a charged conducting sphere.
it should be:
E = kQ/r2
see the URL links below for the potential of a charged conducting sphere and how to calculate it from the E field. (then you can determine Q and Q/e like you indicated above.)
http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/potsph.html#c1
http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/potpoi.html#c2

Last edited:

1. What causes increases in potentials?

Increases in potentials are caused by the movement of ions across a cell membrane, specifically the movement of positively charged ions (such as sodium and potassium) into or out of the cell.

2. How do increases in potentials affect nerve cells?

Increases in potentials play a crucial role in the functioning of nerve cells. They allow for the transmission of electrical signals along the length of the cell, which is essential for communication within the nervous system.

3. What is the difference between an action potential and a graded potential?

An action potential is a large, all-or-nothing increase in potential that occurs in response to a stimulus, while a graded potential is a smaller, more variable increase in potential that can be either excitatory or inhibitory.

4. Can increases in potentials be inhibited?

Yes, increases in potentials can be inhibited by various factors, such as the presence of certain drugs or toxins, changes in temperature, or disruptions to the cell membrane. These inhibitory factors can prevent the normal movement of ions and therefore prevent an increase in potential.

5. How are increases in potentials measured?

Increases in potentials are typically measured using an electrode placed on the surface of a cell or tissue. The resulting electrical activity can then be recorded and analyzed to determine the magnitude and timing of the increase in potential.