How Does Rain Affect a Train's Power Output?

In summary, the train is traveling at a constant speed of 20m/s on a horizontal track when it begins to rain. The rain has a mass of 100kg per second and is accelerated horizontally. To maintain its speed, the train must exert a force of 2,000N and consume 40kW of power. This is due to the fact that the rain's velocity is not constant and the energy required to accelerate the rain to the train's speed must be accounted for.
Tiba

Homework Statement

A train is traveling on a horizontal and straight track, with a constant speed of 20m/s, when it begins to rain.
The rain is rigorously vertical and the mass of the water that falls over the train and after that runs vertically by it sides is 100kg per second.
Consider the resistance forces (air resistance and the friction in the non-movable wheels) to be constant.
For the speed of the train to keep constant after the rain start, the power developed by the train should suffer an increase of...?

Homework Equations

P=F.V

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue... I could only think that the mass of the train will suffer an increase of 100kg, but I don't how to apply this mass increase to the formulas of power, P=T/t and P=FV

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the rain sticks to the train and is accelerated horizontally then..

Every second the train has to accelerate an additional mass of 100kg from 0 to 20m/s.

The KE it needs to give that extra mass is given by

Energy = 0.5*Mass*Velocity2

Power = Energy/Time

Thanks,

So the KE = 20kJ and the Power = 20kW.
However, the answer on the textbook is 40kW.
What am I doing wrong?

I just thought... The force necessary to accelerate the mass of water is F=m.a, and a=V/T (V = 20,0m/s and t=1,0s). So F = 2,0.10³
Energy = Force*Space (Space = 20,0m, because V=20,0m/s and t=1,0s)
Energy = 2,0.10³.2,0.10 = 4,0 . 10^4
and finally
Power = 40,0kW

What mistake I did in the other method using the KE?

Tiba said:
I just thought... The force necessary to accelerate the mass of water is F=m.a, and a=V/T (V = 20,0m/s and t=1,0s). So F = 2,0.10³
Energy = Force*Space (Space = 20,0m, because V=20,0m/s and t=1,0s)
Space is not [strike]a*t[/strike] v*t when the velocity is not constant; Here the motion is accelerated. You need to use another expression for the distance covered.
Energy = 2,0.10³.2,0.10 = 4,0 . 10^4
and finally
Power = 40,0kW

What mistake I did in the other method using the KE?

Last edited:
i think i got 40 kw as well
the train experiences a force, F=dp/dt =d(mv)/dt = v(dm/dt) = v * 100kg=2,000N
P=F*v = 2,000 N *20m/s = 40 kW
well what was wrong with the energy situation?
P* dt = dE = 1/2 dm v^2 = 100kg/s * dt *1/2 *v^2
p = 20kw
now there appears to be an inconsistency, any explanations?

it appears the energy neeeded to acclerate 100kg to 20m/s is 20 kW but the engine needs to supply more than that energy to keep the thing running?

OMG i just realized this situation constitutes an inelastic collision in which case energy is NOT conserved! that resolves the discrepance!

gneill said:
Space is not a*t when the velocity is not constant; Here the motion is accelerated. You need to use another expression for the distance covered.

But I took the velocity of the train as a base, which is constant, not the water's. After all, the power in question is the train's power.

"The rain is rigorously vertical and the mass of the water that falls over the train and after that runs vertically by it sides is 100kg per second."

This implies that the train is not accumulating mass (other than an insignificant mass associated with it being wet) and that the rain's final velocity is equal to that of the train.

In a one second interval, getting 100kg to go from 0m/s to 20m/s requires 1/2mV2 (20kJ) of energy (expending energy at the rate of 20kJ per second gives you 20kW of power).

But this energy is not free and comes at the expense of the train slowing down a bit.

How much energy in the one second interval would be required for the train to restore its speed back to 20m/s?

Last edited:
Tiba said:
But I took the velocity of the train as a base, which is constant, not the water's. After all, the power in question is the train's power.

But if you're using F=m*a and a = V/T, the a must apply to the thing being accelerated, while the V is final velocity.

This may be a coincidence, but I feel like it is interesting to point out.

P=Fv
P=m/t*v*v
m/t = 100, and v*v = 20*20 = 400
So P = 40kW, which is the answer in his book.

1. How can I increase the power of my train?

There are a few ways to increase the power of your train. One option is to add more fuel to the engine, which will provide more energy for the train to run. Another option is to add more cars to the train, which will distribute the weight and make it easier for the train to move forward. You can also upgrade the engine itself by installing a more powerful motor or improving its efficiency.

2. Do different types of fuel affect the power of a train?

Yes, the type of fuel used can greatly impact the power of a train. Diesel fuel, for example, is known for its high energy density and is commonly used in trains. However, newer technologies such as electric or hybrid engines can also provide increased power and efficiency.

3. How does the weight of the train affect its power?

The weight of the train plays a significant role in its power. A heavier train requires more energy to move, so reducing the weight of the train by removing unnecessary cargo or using lighter materials can help increase its power. Additionally, evenly distributing the weight throughout the train can also improve its overall power and performance.

4. Can weather conditions impact a train's power?

Yes, weather conditions can affect a train's power. Extreme temperatures, such as extreme cold or extreme heat, can impact the performance of the engine and reduce its power. Additionally, heavy rain or snow can also make it more difficult for the train to move forward, as it can cause slippery tracks and decrease traction.

5. Are there any safety concerns when increasing a train's power?

Yes, there are safety concerns to consider when increasing a train's power. It is important to ensure that the engine and all components are properly maintained and in good working condition. Increasing the power too much can also put strain on the tracks and infrastructure, so it is important to follow regulations and guidelines to ensure the safety of both the train and its passengers.