Calculating the Rate of Change of a Square's Area

In summary, to find the rate of change of the area of a square with a side length of 8 cm as it increases at a rate of 2 cm/min, we use the product rule to find the derivative of the area function. Simplifying the equation, we get A'(t) = 32 + 8t, where t is in minutes. This means that for every minute, the area of the square increases by 32 cm^2 plus an additional 8 cm^2 for every minute that passes.
Cbray

Homework Statement

Find the rate of change of the area of a square whose side is 8 cm long, if the side length is increasing at 2cm/min

Homework Equations

A(t) = xy
x(0)=8
y(0)=8
dx/dt=2
dy/dt=2

The Attempt at a Solution

dA/dt = dx/dt * x * dy/dt * y
Using the product rule...
dA/dt = dx/dt * x * y + dy/dt * y * x
What happens now? Does the dx/dt * x = 1?

or is it..
dA/dt = dx/dt * d/dx * x * dy/dt * d/dy * y
Using the product rule..
dA/dt = dx/dt * d/dx * x * y + dy/dt * d/dy * y * x
Therefore the d/dx = 1, therefore..
dA/dt = dx/dt * y + dy/dt * x
dA/dt = 2*8 + 2*8
dA/dt = 32 cm^2/min ?? If it is correct is what I'm thinking correct (ie my working?)Help, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got 32t + 4t^2 - I did the d(xy)/dt = dx/dy*y + dy/dt*x thing like you did, which gave me 32t.

I wrote out the values for the next few minutes and tacked on the 4t^2. I wouldn't know how to do it the proper way, been awhile.

So for the first minute the increase is 32 + 4 = 36, which is for a square of 10 by 10 (36 + initial 64)

Then for the next minute it would be 64 + 16 = 80, (80 + initial 64 = 144; 12 by 12)

Edit: Also, it's area so it's cm^2/min - so yea it would be 32cm^2/min

Last edited:
Huh? Wouldn't it work a simpler way:

[itex]A(t)=\left(8+2t\right)^2[/itex]
[itex]A'(t)=2\left(8+2t\right)\cdot2[/itex]
[itex]A'(t)=32+8t[/itex]?

here t is in minutes.

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating the rate of change of a square's area?

The formula for calculating the rate of change of a square's area is (2 x side length) x rate of change of the side length.

How do you find the rate of change of a square's area?

To find the rate of change of a square's area, you need to take the derivative of the area function with respect to the side length and then plug in the value for the rate of change of the side length.

What does the rate of change of a square's area represent?

The rate of change of a square's area represents how much the area of the square is changing for every unit change in the side length.

Can the rate of change of a square's area be negative?

Yes, the rate of change of a square's area can be negative if the side length is decreasing. This means that the area is decreasing as well.

How can I use the rate of change of a square's area in real life?

The rate of change of a square's area can be used to calculate the growth or shrinkage of a square-shaped object, such as a lawn, a room, or a painting. It can also be applied in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to analyze and predict changes in square-shaped systems.