1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increasing Friction/Traction

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    Hey Guys,

I posted this in the Engineering forum, I thought this topic might fare better here.

Hello Everyone,

I am on a FIRST Robotics Team. This year, the game has presented us with a new challenge. The playing surface is made of rough plastic, but the wheels are hard smooth plastic. Basically killing friction, or at least reducing it by 1/6.

Now, my question is how do I increase friction/traction. Note these few things that we must accomplish.

- Robot Cannot weigh more than 120 pounds.
    - We can only use the plastic wheels.
    - Only the plastic wheels can be touching the ground at angle perpendicular to the ground.

What we have so far:
    - We know that we need to push the 120 pound weight limit and get the robot as heavy as possible.
    - We know that a low center of gravity will help in increasing friction for the robot.
    - We know that using a large number of wheels will increase traction, which will result in an increase in grip for the robot.

Any help is appreciated past what we have. I also have a couple more ideas, but I want to keep those off the forums.

Thank You
    Sunny G.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?