Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increasing GPE and KE

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    If i wanted to increase the gravitational potential energy of a ball do I always have to apply a force times a distance? In this case the force would be the weight of the ball and the distance would be the height.
    What if I kicked the ball upwards? I wouldn't be applying a force times a distance , but I would be giving it momentum. So my question is, I don't always have to apply a force times a distance to increase the GPE or KE of an object do I?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You always have to do work, which means applying a force over a distance. When you kick the ball, you're applying a large force over a small distance, but that distance is not quite zero. Your toe is in contact with the ball and applying some force to it for maybe one-tenth of a second, your toe is moving during that one-tenth second so covers some distance, that distance is the ##d## in ##W=Fd##.

4. Nov 11, 2014 #3
    Excellent! Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook