What Would Happen If Plank's Constant Was Increased by a Magnitude of 10^30?

In summary, increasing the value of Planck's constant to ħ=1.0x10-4 would have significant effects on various aspects of quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle would become more important, diffraction of particles through small openings would be more difficult, energy levels for bound systems would be more pronounced, and the interpretation of the wavefunction's amplitude as probability density would be affected. These changes would have major implications for predicting the behavior of particles on a macroscopic level.
wolfmanzak

Homework Statement

I'm curious to know what kind of macroscopic changes would happen by increasing Plank's Constant to about ħ=1.0x10-4. Assuming that the behavior of all objects on length scales smaller than 1 mm (1 millimeter) remains unchanged, I know changing Plank's constant would be very strange without changing other constants but I'm curious to know what would happen with regard to

(i) the uncertainty principle,
(ii) diffraction of particles/object through small openings (e.g., single or double slits or holes), (iii) discretization of energy levels for bound systems (e.g., the infinite square well), and
(iv) interpretation of the square of the amplitude of the wavefunction as probability density.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this problem is somewhat strange, I'm just looking for some ideas of how to convey what would happen should Planck's constant be increased by a magnitude of about 10^30.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (i), the uncertainty principle would become much more important in that the lower the value of Planck's constant, the greater the uncertainty associated with position and momentum. This would create a greater degree of uncertainty when it comes to predicting the behavior of particles on a macroscopic scale. For (ii), diffraction of particles/objects through small openings would become much more difficult. The diffraction pattern for any given wave would be much less pronounced and the wave may have difficulty passing through a small opening. For (iii), the discretization of energy levels for bound systems would be much more pronounced due to the lower value of Planck's constant. The spacing between energy levels would be larger and thus the transition from one energy level to the next would be more difficult. Finally, for (iv), the interpretation of the square of the amplitude of the wavefunction as probability density would still remain valid, although the probability density itself would be significantly lower due to the lower value of Planck's constant. This means that the probability of finding a particle at a certain point in space would be lower than it would be with a higher value of Planck's constant.

1. What is Plank's Constant and why is it important in science?

Plank's Constant (represented by the symbol h) is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics, which relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is important because it allows scientists to accurately calculate and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is Plank's Constant currently used in scientific research?

Plank's Constant is used in a variety of fields, such as in the study of atomic and molecular structures, electronic devices, and materials science. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.

3. What does it mean to "increase" Plank's Constant?

Increasing Plank's Constant would mean changing its value to a larger number. This would result in a shift in the relationship between energy and frequency, potentially leading to new discoveries and applications in quantum mechanics.

4. Is it possible to increase Plank's Constant?

The value of Plank's Constant is a fundamental constant in nature and cannot be changed or increased. However, scientists are constantly working to improve their understanding and measurement of the constant, which could lead to advancements in our understanding of the quantum world.

5. How could increasing Plank's Constant impact our daily lives?

If Plank's Constant were to be increased, it could potentially lead to advancements in technology, such as more efficient solar panels and faster electronic devices. It could also deepen our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of nature.