Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increasing small motor torque

1. May 16, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I took apart my grinder/polisher and adjusted a small pot in there and it lowered the speed right down which will be useful for my car as a paint flatter. Only problem is it lacks torque. I was wondering if it is possible to increase the torque. Access is ok and the project is a realistic one, perhaps unlike my car's alternator regulator.

I was thinking of using a capacitor and resistor to dump large pulsed currents through the motor every tenth of a second or so to keep speed low but beef up torque. Is this practical or is a different conceptual approach needed to improve the torque? I really don't want too much speed involved.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2007 #2
    What you may want to do is turn the speed back up on your grinder/polisher and add a reduction gearbox to the grinder/polisher, thus increasing torque and reducing speed.

4. May 16, 2007 #3
    It's a good idea but I don't want to start messing with anything mechanical. I'd prefer an electrical solution it's much easier in the long run :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?