Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incredible Edible Eggs!

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm eating, what I believe, is way to many eggs. On average, I eat about eight a week!

I'm wondering if this is too much. I'm a young, healthy guy, and in good physical shape, good BP and Cholesterol (at least before I started this egg binge.:rolleyes:)

What's the general consensus on eggs these days? Is it ok to eat eggs this regularly or should I watch? The story about eggs always changes. Sometimes there good for you, other times there not. Do any of the bio/med people on PF have any input?

I guess if some trustworthy PF people tell me to slow my egg consumption, I will. However, I may be addicted. I love eggs. Fried, Scambled, Sunny Side Up, Over Easy, Hard Boiled, Poached....:!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wait, I almost forgot:

Deviled!!!:devil::!!)

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    Ever have "hobo eggs" ? Funny name. But good.

1 Take a piece of bread and lightly butter both sides.
    2 Cut a hole in center of bread
    3 Place in preheated skillet over med-low heat
    4 when bread is almost ready to flip, crack an egg into the hole
    5 flip and cook other side
    6 eat your egg infused toast!

Sometimes I cook some peppers and onions in the pan first and then when they are 1/2 way done, start at step 1.

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That sounds delicious!

6. Oct 26, 2009 #5

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmmmm.... eggs in a basket. Probably so bad for you with the butter and all but sooo good.

7. Oct 26, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Make sure not to cook the yolk through. Leave it runny, so you can mop it up with the toast. Mmmm! I used to go even more decadent and put a slice of sharp cheese on top after the first flip, and cover with a lid so that the cheese melts a little while the second side is cooking.

8. Oct 26, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

:confused:
    You call that a lot?
    I eat 6-9 per meal, and try to have them at least 4 or 5 times a week. Even when I was a little kid, I had at least a dozen per week. My cholesterol is fine.

9. Oct 26, 2009 #8
    My father made them for me, and I made them for my kids. Around here they're called Popeye eggs. We cut the hole with a drinking glass and fry the hole too. It's useful for mopping up the yolk.

10. Oct 26, 2009 #9
    Eight a week? You think that's a lot? That's such a small amount, you may actually not be getting enough.
    Eat more eggs.

11. Oct 26, 2009 #10
    The mayo counts as a ninth egg.

12. Oct 26, 2009 #11
    I call the bread with egg, Holeindamiddles. They are pretty much standard fair at my cabin. If your Cholesterol is ok, then eat away.

13. Oct 26, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eight a week isn't bad. That's one a day and two on Sundays. Of course, you have to look at your entire dietary picture. For example, if eggs are your primary source of animal protein, there's not going to be any problem at all. But, if you're eating 8 eggs a week, each one served with a side of bacon and sausage and on toast slathered in butter, then have fried chicken for lunch and steak for dinner, you might run into some problems with high blood lipids or weight gain.

Generally, demonizing a particular food item is not sound nutritional advice; taking into account the entire diet of a person is much more important. Are you getting fruits and veggies every day, eating some whole grains, eating everything in reasonable portions?

14. Oct 26, 2009 #13

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I wouldn't say I slather my toast in butter....:biggrin:

Really though, my diet otherwise isn't that bad. Most of my protein comes from chicken or fish (not fried) if not eggs. I eat lots of fruits veggies and carbs. I also get a good amount of exercise, I think. I usually eat my eggs with cheese though.

15. Oct 26, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Huh?

16. Oct 26, 2009 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm afraid you will need to post a link to the medical research that verifies egg consumption causes kidney damaage.

17. Oct 26, 2009 #16
    After reading some of your posts, I have decided that your username leaves something to be desired :rolleyes:

18. Oct 26, 2009 #17
    And after reading your name I've come to realize that you probably are a samurai. The way you read my mind and post things before I do. Whats up with that?

@OP:

You should post your average consumption of different foods per day if you want to determine if your diet is healthy... hardly ever is eating one thing 'bad'.

19. Oct 26, 2009 #18
    Eating high amounts of protein can increase the risk of kidney stones in people predisposed to the condition.... Diet plays a role in kidney stones but it's not the only contributing factor. This is a young, healthy and supposedly active man leads me to doubt that he will have problems with calcium or uric acid.

20. Oct 26, 2009 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Spot on Sorry! It's diets high in excess protein that can cause a problem, not eggs.

21. Oct 27, 2009 #20
    How many is too many? Your doctor may be correct, but you're the one who decided 8 a week was too many.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook