Mastering Indefinite Integrals: Tips and Tricks for Evaluating Tricky Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate an integral using inverse trigonometric functions. The method involves completing the square of a quadratic and practicing with various methods. The key to mastering integrals is through experience and practice.
uman
How can I evaluate [itex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-2x-x^2}}[/itex] using inverse trig functions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
complete the square of the quadratic.

Oh... thanks.

Dang these are so hard... I wish I had the creativity to see the solution immediately like that...

ax^2+bx+c, a=1, factor out the negative before you complete the square if you didn't remember.

Thanks. I got the right answer after rock.freak667's hint. I just wish I were able to solve these more easily, without hints from this forum and elsewhere... does it just take lots of practice, or what?

Read read read! And do the practice problems :-]

Go here to see a variety of diff. methods.

http://www.mathlinks.ro/weblog_entry.php?p=992552#992552
http://www.mathlinks.ro/weblog_entry.php?p=992575#992575
http://www.mathlinks.ro/weblog_entry.php?p=992703#992703

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to integrals, its experience that really counts. Do as many integrals as you can, you'll soon learn the tricks of the trade.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is used to evaluate the original function by finding a function whose derivative is equal to the original function.

2. How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you must first identify the function and then apply the appropriate integration rules. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and adding a constant of integration. Integration techniques such as substitution and integration by parts may also be necessary.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, whereas an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give an expression that includes a constant of integration.

4. Why is finding indefinite integrals important?

Finding indefinite integrals is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find areas under curves, volumes of solids, and other important quantities.

5. Can indefinite integrals be solved using a calculator?

Yes, indefinite integrals can be solved using a calculator. However, the calculator will only give a numerical value and will not include the constant of integration. It is important to remember to add the constant of integration when solving indefinite integrals by hand.