How do I correctly solve the indefinite integral of [sin^3*(13x)*cos^8*(13x)]dx?

In summary: Can you show us your work so we can help you find where you went wrong?In summary, the integral of [sin^3*(13x)*cos^8*(13x)]dx can be solved using a trigonometric rule where the power of the sine function is odd. By factoring out one sine function and using the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, the integral can be rewritten as [sin^2(13x)*cos^8(13x)]sin(13x)dx. Then, using u-substitution with u = sin(13x), the integral can be solved. However, it is important to be careful with the coefficient of x, in this case
MillerL7
The integral of [sin^3*(13x)*cos^8*(13x)]dx

I think u=sin^3
so du/dx=cos^3
du=cos^3dx

but then I am really not sure if that is correct, the trig functions confuse me a bit. Please help me, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that you can simply use a u-substitution here, this appears to be a Trigonometric Integral to me, which has its own special rules.

Since this is in the form of [itex] Sin^n(u)Cos^m(u) [/itex] where m and n are both integers. Where does your book tell you to start?

Hint: focus on m and n, what does that tell you?

The chain rule also seems to be confusing you. If u=sin^3(x) then du=3*sin^2(x)*cos(x), NOT cos^3(x). Please review that before even attempting this problem. And the fact that sin^2(x)=1-cos^2(x) may help you a lot. If you play your cards right, it's a pretty simple integral using u substitution.

RyanSchw said:
I don't think that you can simply use a u-substitution here, this appears to be a Trigonometric Integral to me, which has its own special rules.

Since this is in the form of [itex] Sin^n(u)Cos^m(u) [/itex] where m and n are both integers. Where does your book tell you to start?

Hint: focus on m and n, what does that tell you?

Why do you say trigonometric integrals have special rules? AFAIK they have the same rules as other integrals. What's special?

I guess I phrased that poorly, I simply meant that the integral was in a specific form which can be dealt with easily when you look at the powers of Sin and Cos. In this case he would want to break up [itex] Sin^3(13x) [/itex] using [itex] Sin^2(x) + Cos^2(x) = 1 [/itex] because the power of the sine function is odd.

RyanSchw said:
I guess I phrased that poorly, I simply meant that the integral was in a specific form which can be dealt with easily when you look at the powers of Sin and Cos. In this case he would want to break up [itex] Sin^3(13x) [/itex] using [itex] Sin^2(x) + Cos^2(x) = 1 [/itex] because the power of the sine function is odd.

Right. Sorry, I just jumped on you when you said you can't use a u substitution. Because the answer IS a u substitution. Together with a specific trig rule.

Last edited:
Hint:

You need to reduce the power of the sin from [tex] \sin{^3 (13x)} [/tex] into [tex] \sin{13x} [/tex]

In general if you have an odd power of a sine or cosine you can factor one of them out to use with the dx, then reduce the remaining even power by sin2x= 1- cos2 x or cos2x= 1- sin2x.

Here you have [sin3(13x) cos8(13x)]dx which has sine to an odd power. Write it as [sin2(13x) cos8(13x)] sin(x)dx= (1- cos2(13x))cos8(13x)] sin(13x) dx and let u= sin(13x). Be careful with the "13x".

I tried that formula and got it incorrect...

MillerL7 said:
I tried that formula and got it incorrect...

That's not very helpful. How are we supposed to know how you got it wrong?

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical operation used to find the antiderivative of a function. It represents the set of all possible antiderivatives of the given function.

2. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

An indefinite integral does not have specific limits of integration and it represents a family of functions, while a definite integral has specific limits of integration and represents a single numerical value.

3. How do I solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to use integration techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You can also use tables of integrals or online integration calculators to find the antiderivative of a function.

4. Why is it important to learn how to solve indefinite integrals?

Solving indefinite integrals is important in many fields of science and engineering, as well as in everyday life. It allows us to find the exact area under a curve, calculate displacement, and solve differential equations, among other things.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving indefinite integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving indefinite integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making algebraic errors, and incorrectly applying integration techniques. It is also important to check your answer by taking the derivative of the antiderivative to ensure it is correct.