How to Evaluate Indefinite Integrals with Radical Expressions?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate two indefinite integrals with square roots in the integrands. The first method involves using hyperbolic functions to simplify the integrand, while the second method uses trigonometric substitutions. The conversation also mentions a useful trigonometric identity for solving the second integral and introduces the idea of using the substitution u=1/x.
y_lindsay
how to evaluate the indefinite integral

∫(x^2-1)^(-1/2) dx

and

∫x^(-1)*(1-x^2)^(-1/2) dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to think like this:
Why are these integrals hard?

First hurdle:
There are ugly square roots here!

So, the next question is naturally:
What is the simplest way to "eliminate" a square root sign?
Answer:
Ensuring that the radicand is a perfect square!
Then, the root and the square would eliminate each other.

Agreed?

Thus, tackle the first one:
If [tex]x^{2}-1=y^{2}[/tex]
then [tex]x^{2}-y^{2}=1[/tex]

Do you know of any functions that behaves like x and y here?

Possibly, you are familiar with the hyperbolic functions, Cosh(u) and Sinh(u) which satisfies for all u the identity: [tex]Cosh^{2}u-Sinh^{2}(u)=1[/tex]

In terms of exponentials, we have the relations:
[tex]Cosh(u)=\frac{e^{u}+e^{-u}}{2},Sinh(u)=\frac{e^{u}-e^{-u}}{2}[/tex]

Thus, we set [tex]x=Cosh(u)[/tex], whereby we transform the integral as follows:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^{2}-1}}=\int\frac{1}{|Sinh(u)|}\frac{dx}{du}du[/tex]

Now, we have that [tex]\frac{d}{du}Cosh(u)=Sinh(u)[/tex], whereby the integral reduces to:
[tex]sgn(Sinh(u))\int{du}=sgn(Sinh(u))u=|u|[/tex]
since Sinh(u) and u has matching sign domains.

Okay so far?

Actually, arildno I don't think we need to introduce hyperbolic functions. They might work, but you're thinking too much. I could solve both of them by using normal (non-hyperbolic) trigo substitutions.

@OP:

You might find this trigo identity useful:

(tan θ)^2 = (sec θ)^2 - 1

Once you figured out the proper trigo subst for the first one from the clue above, you're done.

For the 2nd one, you need a different trigo substitution. The following identity is useful:

(sin θ)^2 = 1 - (cos θ)^2

I LIKE hyperbolic functions, that's why I use them. :smile:

I am perfectly well aware of the sec substitution, but the result is more elegantly written in terms of hyperbolics/their inverses.
That's why I like them..

Defennnder, I also would tend to use trig functions, perhaps because that is what I first learned, but I noticed that arildno tends to use hyperbolic functions. It's certainly NOT a matter of "thinking too much"- one is as good as the other. One advantage I will conced to hyperbolic functions- you can use sinh and cosh rather than sec and tan which have more complicated integration and differentiation rules than sinh and cosh.

Thanks arildno, i haven't thought out the hyperbolic solution to the first problem.

yet to solve the 2nd problem,
is there any other way rather than using substitution x=sin u ?
I've thought out another possible substitution u=1/x, and then we could use the result of the firtst problem.
am i right?

That should work nicely, yes.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is an operation in calculus that involves finding the antiderivative of a given function. It is represented by the ∫ symbol and is used to calculate the area under a curve.

2. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

An indefinite integral does not have specific limits of integration, while a definite integral has upper and lower limits. This means that the result of an indefinite integral is a general function, while the result of a definite integral is a specific numeric value.

3. What is the process for solving an indefinite integral?

The process for solving an indefinite integral involves finding the antiderivative of the given function through integration rules, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. Once the antiderivative is found, a constant of integration is added to the solution.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving indefinite integrals?

Yes, there are some common integration techniques that can be used to solve certain types of indefinite integrals more easily. These include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and rules of integration in order to use these techniques effectively.

5. What are some real-life applications of indefinite integrals?

Indefinite integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics problems. In economics, they are used to model and analyze supply and demand curves. In engineering, they are used to calculate areas and volumes of irregular shapes for design and construction purposes.