Finding the Indefinite Integral of a Product of Exponential Functions

In summary, the student is trying to find an equation that solves for x in terms of u and v. They make a number of basic errors, most notably not understanding the power rule and incorrectly applying it to a constant to a variable problem. They also make errors with the notation for the function and the integrals. Finally, they are missing the derivative of a linear function and need to use the chain rule to find it.
gyza502

Homework Statement

F(x)= (3^x)(e^x)dx

Homework Equations

F(u)=U^n=(U^(n+1))/n+1

The Attempt at a Solution

I said it equaled:
((3^(x+1))/(x+1))(e^x)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post doesn't make sense. Why don't you write things out using normal notation so we don't have to guess as to what you mean?

You've made a number of very basic errors. First, and this may be what Vela was complaining about, it doesn't make sense to have a function equal to an integrand- what you meant to say, instead of [itex]F(x)= 3^xe^xdx[/itex] was that the integrand was [itex]3^x e^x dx[/itex] or, equivalently that you were trying to find [itex]F(x)= \int 3^xe^x dx[/itex].

You make the same kind of error when you write "F(u)=U^n=(U^(n+1))/n+1". [itex]U^{n+1}/(n+1)[/itex] is the integral of [itex]U^n[/itex], they are not equal. (Oh, and two minor things- "u" and "U" are not interchangeable and what you wrote, U^(n+1)/n+ 1 is equal to (U^(n+1)/n)+ 1, not U^(n+1)/(n+1).)

Most importantly, that "power rule" does not apply here. It applies to the variable to a constant power and what you have here is a constant to a variable power. And, of course, you cannot simply multiply by [itex]e^x[/itex] as if it were a constant.

Instead, use the fact that [itex]3^x= e^{ln 3^x}= e^{xln(3)}[/itex] and write the integral, [itex]\int 3^xe^x dx[/itex], as [itex]\int e^{x ln(3)}e^x dx= \int e^{x ln(3)+ x}dx= \int e^{x(ln(3)+ 1)}dx[/itex].

Now, do you know how to integrate [itex]\int e^{ax}dx[/itex]?

no i do not. can you tell me please?

This isn't for a class? Do you know the derivative of eax?

yes it is for a class. But, it is a practice problem. We haven't seen similar problems to this, so i am quite lost at the moment. I know the derivative of e^x is e^x.

gyza502 said:
yes it is for a class. But, it is a practice problem. We haven't seen similar problems to this, so i am quite lost at the moment. I know the derivative of e^x is e^x.
Do you know the chain rule ?

If so, use it ti find the derivative of eax, a being a constant.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a given function. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it helps us find the original function when we know its derivative.

2. How do you solve an indefinite integral problem?

To solve an indefinite integral problem, we use a set of rules and techniques such as the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and others. We also need to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and properties of integrals.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as a result. On the other hand, an indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and gives a general expression as a solution. In other words, a definite integral represents the area under a curve, while an indefinite integral represents a family of curves.

4. Can indefinite integrals have multiple solutions?

Yes, indefinite integrals can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because an indefinite integral only gives a general expression as a solution, and we can add any constant to this expression, resulting in a different but equally valid solution.

5. Why is it important to solve indefinite integrals?

Solving indefinite integrals is important because it helps us find the original function when we only know its derivative. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where we often need to find the position, velocity, or acceleration of a moving object based on its derivative.