1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinite integral problem

1. Mar 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the indefinite integral of x*cos(3x)^2

2. Relevant equations

Integration by parts: [itex]\int(udv)[/itex]= uv - [itex]\int(vdu)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Im having trouble finding the antiderivative of cos(3x)^2 (which I designated as dv when doing integration by parts). I keep getting (1/9)(sin(3x)^3) using the power and chain rules, but that's not correct.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is this your integral?
    $$\int x cos(9x^2)dx$$

If so, you might be able to do it by integration by parts, but I wouldn't do it this way. An ordinary substitution will work just fine.

4. Mar 31, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or is it$$
    \int x\cos^2(3x)$$in which case a double angle formula and integration by parts would work.

5. Mar 31, 2014 #4

Mark44

Loopas,
    Obviously, what you wrote is ambiguous.

6. Mar 31, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming you mean [itex]cos^2(3x)[/itex] use the identity [itex]cos(2a)= cos^2(a)- sin^2(a)= cos^2(a)- (1- cos^2(a)= 2cos^2(a) -1[/itex]. So [itex]cos^2(3x)= (cos(6a)+ 1)/2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  7. Apr 1, 2014 #6
    Ok, the integral is [itex]\int(xcos^{2}(3x))[/itex]

Im trying to use integration by parts but I can't find the antiderivative of cos[itex]_{2}[/itex](3x)

What exactly is the form of the double angle formula?

8. Apr 1, 2014 #7

Mark44

What you wrote is extremely difficult to read. I have fixed it up to make it clear.

9. Apr 1, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

$$\cos^2(3x)=\frac {1+\cos(6x)} 2$$

10. Apr 1, 2014 #9
    So would the correct antiderivative be [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{sin(6x)}{12}[/itex]?

11. Apr 1, 2014 #10

Mark44

It's easy enough to check for yourself. Just differentiate your answer and you should get the integrand.

12. Apr 1, 2014 #11
    Ok so I can use the double angle formula to put cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](3x) into a form that I can find the antiderivative more easily. But I'm confused about how to use the double angle identity to get [itex]\frac{1+cos(6x)}{2}[/itex]

13. Apr 1, 2014 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The basic double angle formula for cosine says that [itex]cos(2\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. But [itex]sin^2(\theta)= 1- cos^2(\theta)[/itex] so that can be written [itex]cos(2\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- (1- cos^2(\theta))= 2cos^2(\theta)- 1[/itex] From that [itex]2cos^2(\theta)= 1+ cos(2\theta)[/itex] and so [itex]cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1+ cos(2\theta)}{2}[/itex].

Now replace "[itex]\theta[/itex]" with "3x": [itex]cos^2(3x)= \frac{1+ cos(6x)}{2}[/itex].

14. Apr 1, 2014 #13
    Ahh I can see it now! Thanks guys this was all really helpful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted