Solve Indefinite Integral: ∫1/sqrt(x2-1)^5 dx

In summary, the student is stuck and is looking for a solution. They are using a trigonometric substitution and evaluating an indefinite integral. They are trying to find a solution using the cosh-function and the sinh-function. They are then trying to integrate using a clever trick involving the cosh-function and the sinh-function. They are getting close to a solution, but they are not sure if it is correct.
tylersmith7690

Homework Statement

Sorry for the poor use of Latex, I have tried to get it to work but it seems to never come out as I would like.

Using a trigonometric or hyperbolic substitution, evaluate the following indfe nite integral,

∫[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x^2-1)^5}}[/itex] dx

Homework Equations

I have got down to a point where I am stuck and was wondering which path to go down next.

The Attempt at a Solution

let x=cosh[itex]\phi[/itex]
dx/d[itex]\phi[/itex]=sinh[itex]\phi[/itex]
dx=sinh[itex]\phi[/itex] d[itex]\phi[/itex]

Then (x2-1) = cosh2[itex]\phi[/itex]-1
= sinh2[itex]\phi[/itex]

(x2-1)1/2= sinh[itex]\phi[/itex]
(x2-1)5/2= sinh5[itex]\phi[/itex]

therefore ∫sinh[itex]\phi[/itex]/sinh5[itex]\phi[/itex]
=∫1/sinh4[itex]\phi[/itex]
=∫cosec2[itex]\phi[/itex]

Is this right so far, Do i then split the (cosec[itex]\phi[/itex])^4 into two and do the integral then.?

Physics news on Phys.org
tylersmith7690 said:

Homework Statement

Sorry for the poor use of Latex, I have tried to get it to work but it seems to never come out as I would like.

Using a trigonometric or hyperbolic substitution, evaluate the following indfenite integral,

∫[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x^2-1)^5}}[/itex] dx

Homework Equations

I have got down to a point where I am stuck and was wondering which path to go down next.

The Attempt at a Solution

let x=cosh[itex]\phi[/itex]
dx/d[itex]\phi[/itex]=sinh[itex]\phi[/itex]
dx=sinh[itex]\phi[/itex] d[itex]\phi[/itex]

Then (x2-1) = cosh2[itex]\phi[/itex]-1
= sinh2[itex]\phi[/itex]

(x2-1)1/2= sinh[itex]\phi[/itex]
(x2-1)5/2= sinh5[itex]\phi[/itex]

therefore ∫sinh[itex]\phi[/itex]/sinh5[itex]\phi[/itex]
=∫1/sinh4[itex]\phi[/itex]
=∫cosec2[itex]\phi[/itex]

Is this right so far, Do i then split the (cosec[itex]\phi[/itex])^4 into two and do the integral then.?

The last integral should be ##\int (\mathrm{csch} \phi)^4 d\phi##, shouldn't it?

There might well be an easier way to go about this with hyperbolic trig identities, but I would do it with a mainly algebraic integral.

First convert to the exponential form. I'm going to be using y instead of ##\phi## for ease of Latex:

You have to evaluate ##\int \frac{16}{(e^y - e^{-y})^4}dy##.

Sub ##u = e^y##. Simplify. You'll end up with a ##u^3## in the numerator, and a ##(u^2 - 1)^4## in the denominator. There's a clever way to split this up so you can integrate by parts. And this can be repeated one more time.

So far it looks good (in the last line it must be [itex]\text{cosech}^4 x[/itex] of course.

My next guess is that it might help to use
[tex]\cosh^2 x-\sinh^2 x=1[/tex]
in the numerator of the integrand ;-).

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is an operation used to find the most general antiderivative of a function. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it is represented by the symbol "∫".

2. How do I solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to use techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitutions. It is also important to understand the properties of integration, such as linearity and the power rule.

3. What is the function being integrated in the given problem?

The function being integrated is 1/sqrt(x2-1)^5. This is a rational function with a radical in the denominator. The variable of integration is "x".

4. What is the process for solving this specific indefinite integral?

The first step to solving this indefinite integral is to rewrite the function as (x2-1)^(-5/2). Then, use the substitution u = x2-1 to simplify the integral. After that, use the power rule to integrate the simplified function and substitute back in the original variable "x".

5. Are there any special cases or restrictions for solving this indefinite integral?

Yes, there are a few special cases and restrictions that need to be considered when solving this indefinite integral. For example, the value inside the radical (x2-1) must be greater than 0 for the function to be defined. Additionally, the integral may have different solutions depending on the value of the exponent (-5/2) and the value of the variable ("x").