Indefinite Integration Problem

In summary: EllipticIntegraloftheSecondKind.htmlIn summary, according to mathematica where:\text{EllipticE} (z,m) = \int_0^z \sqrt{1 - m \sin^2 t} \, dtThen:\int \sqrt{ \sin x } \, dx = -2 \text{EllipticE} \left( \frac{1}{4} ( \pi - 2x ), 2 \right)
Orion1

How is this problem integrated?

[tex]\int \sqrt{ \sin x} \; dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution can not be given in terms of elementary functions.

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
No elementary functions have [tex]\sqrt{\sin(x)}[/tex] as their derivative. It looks like it an antiderivative could be expressed using elliptic integral of the second kind.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticIntegraloftheSecondKind.html
Indeed, according to mathematica where:

[tex]\text{EllipticE} (z,m) = \int_0^z \sqrt{1 - m \sin^2 t} \, dt[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\int \sqrt{ \sin x } \, dx = -2 \text{EllipticE} \left( \frac{1}{4} ( \pi - 2x ), 2 \right)[/tex]

Zurtex said:
Indeed, according to mathematica where:

[tex]\text{EllipticE} (z,m) = \int_0^z \sqrt{1 - m \sin^2 t} \, dt[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\int \sqrt{ \sin x } \, dx = -2 \text{EllipticE} \left( \frac{1}{4} ( \pi - 2x ), 2 \right)[/tex]

Alright, I had problems with it:

Show:

So differentiating the RHS:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(-2\int_0^{\frac{\pi-2x}{4}} \sqrt{1-2Sin^2(t)}dt\right)=\sqrt{1-2Sin^2(\frac{\pi}{4}-\frac{x}{2})}[/tex]

Well anyway, I'll save the rest for others to go through if they need practice like me to show that this is equal to:

[tex]\sqrt{\sin x}[/tex]

Last edited:
saltydog said:
Well anyway, I'll save the rest for others to go through if they need practice like me to show that this is equal to:

[tex]\sqrt{\sin x}[/tex]
:biggrin: I had the same the same odd feeling about it when I looked at it and enjoyed doing my old A-Level work on proving trigonometric identities.

Integral Nexus...

Integrating with EllipticE formula:
[tex]\int \sqrt{\cos x} \; dx = 2 \int_0^{\frac{x}{2}} \sqrt{1 - 2 \sin^2 (t)} \; dt[/tex]

RHS Differentiation:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left( 2 \int_0^{\frac{x}{2}} \sqrt{1 - 2 \sin^2 (t)} \; dt \right) = \sqrt{1 - 2 \sin^2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)}[/tex]

Trigonometric Identity:
[tex]1 - 2 \sin^2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) = \cos x[/tex]

Any Calculus I students interested in integrating this formula?
[tex]\int \sqrt{ \tan x} \; dx[/tex]

Orion1 said:

Haha, that's really nasty, if anyone wants a go at this then I'll just help out by saying that you don't need to put it of the form of an EllipticE formula

Zurtex said:
Haha, that's really nasty, if anyone wants a go at this then I'll just help out by saying that you don't need to put it of the form of an EllipticE formula
It is not that bad. It should probably be on a list of good calculus final questions along with.
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}x^x[/tex]
and
[tex]\int x^3e^{-2x}\sin(x)dx[/tex]

lurflurf said:
It is not that bad. It should probably be on a list of good calculus final questions along with.
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}x^x[/tex]
I got asked that question on my university interview, one of the few people who did it without any help :approve:

Orion1 said:
The following substitution
[tex]\tan x = y^2 \Leftrightarrow x = \arctan \left( {y^2 } \right) \Leftrightarrow dx = \frac{{2y}}{{y^4 + 1}}dy[/tex]
gives: [tex]\int {\frac{{2y^2 }}{{y^4 + 1}}dy}[/tex]

That should be doable :smile:

TD said:
The following substitution
[tex]\tan x = y^2 \Leftrightarrow x = \arctan \left( {y^2 } \right) \Leftrightarrow dx = \frac{{2y}}{{y^4 + 1}}dy[/tex]
gives: [tex]\int {\frac{{2y^2 }}{{y^4 + 1}}dy}[/tex]

That should be doable :smile:
The only potential problems is that if one "refuses" to use complex numbers, effecting the integration requires some rather unmotivated ad hoc manipulations. Probably some rather clever trig identitiy manipulation would get the job done as well.

Last edited:
Texas Nexus...

Have any Calculus I students attempted to compute this formula on a >TI-89 calculator?

How long did the computation take? stopwatch?

Now compute this formula:
[tex]\int {\frac{{2y^2 }}{{y^4 + 1}}dy}[/tex]

How long did the computation take?

Have any Calculus I students compared the tangent formula solution generated from a >TI-89 as compared to the Mathematica solution?

Reference:
http://integrals.wolfram.com/

Last edited:

1. What is indefinite integration?

Indefinite integration, also known as antiderivative, is a mathematical process of finding a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. It is the opposite of differentiation and is used to find the most general form of a function.

2. How is indefinite integration different from definite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the area under a curve between two specific points, while indefinite integration involves finding a general function without specific limits.

3. What is the purpose of indefinite integration?

The main purpose of indefinite integration is to find the most general solution to a differential equation. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and analyze continuous systems and processes.

4. How do you solve an indefinite integration problem?

To solve an indefinite integration problem, you need to follow specific rules and techniques, such as the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also essential to remember the constant of integration, which can change the solution by any arbitrary constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of indefinite integration?

Indefinite integration has various real-life applications, such as calculating the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion, determining the growth and decay of populations or radioactive substances, and finding the area and volume of irregular shapes in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.