Is 0^0 indefinite in Von Neuman Entropy?

• B
  • Thread starter anuttarasammyak
  • Start date
In summary, the Von Neuman Entropy formula is used to calculate the entropy of a system. It assumes that for impossible states with a probability of 0, the contribution to entropy is also 0. This is supported by the limit of the expression being 0 as x approaches 0. L'Hopital's rule can be used to simplify the expression.
anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Shannon and Von Neumann entropy assume x log_a x = 0 for limit of small x. Is it justified in mathematics ?
Hello. In Von Neuman Entropy
[tex]S(\rho):=-k_B \ \Sigma_j \ p_j \ \log_e \ p_j [/tex]
It is assumed that for ##p_j=0##
[tex]p_j \ \log_e p_j=0[/tex]
Is it correct mathematics though ##0^0## is indefinite.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For positive real x you get ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} x log(x) = 0##. It's plausible to define the expression to be zero at x=0. That way impossible states do not contribute to the entropy, as expected.

Likes dextercioby and anuttarasammyak
Thanks. I would derive it. Let y=1/x
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow +0} \ x \log x= - \lim_{y \rightarrow +\infty} \frac{\log y}{y} = - \lim_{y \rightarrow +\infty} \frac{1}{y} = -0 [/tex]
At the last step I used L'Hopital's rule though I am not certain for this infinite limit. I should appreciate your advice.

I'm a bit confused on the first step you did, shouldn't you get ##\log (1/y)##?

Edit: oh, that's where the minus sign is from. Looks fine

I think you can just leave it as x also.

$$ x\log(x) = \frac{\log(x)}{ 1/x}.$$

Thanks. Yes, ##\log \frac{1}{y} = - \log y ## , I made.
Following your way
[tex] \lim \frac{\log x}{1/x}=\lim \frac{1/x}{-1/x^2} = - \lim x = -0[/tex]
Again I used L'hopital's rule.

Last edited:
That looks right to me!

Likes anuttarasammyak

1. What is Von Neumann Entropy?

Von Neumann Entropy is a measure of the randomness or uncertainty in a quantum system. It is named after physicist John von Neumann and is often denoted by the symbol S.

2. Why is 0^0 considered indefinite in Von Neumann Entropy?

The value of 0^0 is undefined in mathematics, and this carries over to Von Neumann Entropy as well. This is because 0^0 can take on different values depending on the context in which it is used.

3. Can 0^0 be assigned a specific value in Von Neumann Entropy?

No, 0^0 cannot be assigned a specific value in Von Neumann Entropy. This is because it is a limit that does not converge to a single value.

4. How does the concept of 0^0 relate to uncertainty in quantum systems?

The concept of 0^0 in Von Neumann Entropy relates to uncertainty in quantum systems because it represents the uncertainty in assigning a specific value to a quantum state. This is due to the fact that 0^0 is undefined and can take on different values depending on the context.

5. Are there any alternative approaches to dealing with 0^0 in Von Neumann Entropy?

Yes, there are alternative approaches to dealing with 0^0 in Von Neumann Entropy, such as using the extended real number system or considering 0^0 as an indeterminate form. However, these approaches also have their own limitations and controversies.