Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indentation standard

1. Apr 16, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] indentation standard

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Document_Structure

It says there that "By default, the first paragraph after a heading follows the standard Anglo-American publishers' practice of no indentation."

I have never heard of this so-called standard! Has anybody else? How can I get my first paragraphs indented?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pick up any book, a textbook will do. Now, look at the first paragraph of a chapter-- you'll see that it isn't indented. To be a standard, it doesn't necessarily have to be documented, it could just be that everyone does it!
    Well, you can do what we all do when we have some problem with latex-- google it (then you'll get the site Kurdt shows you as the first hit).

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed. Google is your friend. :smile:

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    Actually the first book I picked up "Introduction to Solid-State Physics" by Kittel does indent but the second book I picked up "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by Fraleigh does not.

7. Apr 17, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a standard, it doesn't seem to be very standard. :wink:

I'd never heard of it before, and picking up the stack of articles currently on my coffee table, about half of them indent the first paragraph and the other half don't. But, those that don't have the indent also do other things to set off the first word of the first paragraph, like start with a larger letter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?