So, I'd say it's not a standard, but rather a stylistic choice.

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary: Is there a rule or something? In any case, I'm not sure how to indent my first paragraphs in LaTeX.Indeed. Google is your friend.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] indentation standard

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Document_Structure

It says there that "By default, the first paragraph after a heading follows the standard Anglo-American publishers' practice of no indentation."

I have never heard of this so-called standard! Has anybody else? How can I get my first paragraphs indented?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You may find this page useful.

http://web.mit.edu/answers/latex/formatting/latex_indentfirst.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ehrenfest said:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Document_Structure

It says there that "By default, the first paragraph after a heading follows the standard Anglo-American publishers' practice of no indentation."

I have never heard of this so-called standard!
Pick up any book, a textbook will do. Now, look at the first paragraph of a chapter-- you'll see that it isn't indented. To be a standard, it doesn't necessarily have to be documented, it could just be that everyone does it!
How can I get my first paragraphs indented?
Well, you can do what we all do when we have some problem with latex-- google it (then you'll get the site Kurdt shows you as the first hit).

cristo said:
Well, you can do what we all do when we have some problem with latex-- google it (then you'll get the site Kurdt shows you as the first hit).

Indeed. Google is your friend. :smile:

cristo said:
Pick up any book, a textbook will do. Now, look at the first paragraph of a chapter-- you'll see that it isn't indented. To be a standard, it doesn't necessarily have to be documented, it could just be that everyone does it!

Actually the first book I picked up "Introduction to Solid-State Physics" by Kittel does indent but the second book I picked up "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by Fraleigh does not.

For a standard, it doesn't seem to be very standard. :wink:

I'd never heard of it before, and picking up the stack of articles currently on my coffee table, about half of them indent the first paragraph and the other half don't. But, those that don't have the indent also do other things to set off the first word of the first paragraph, like start with a larger letter.

1. What is an indentation standard?

An indentation standard is a set of rules that determine the appropriate way to indent code or text, typically used in programming languages or document formatting. It helps to improve readability and consistency in written materials.

2. Why is an indentation standard important?

An indentation standard is important because it enhances the readability and organization of code or text, making it easier to understand and maintain. It also promotes consistency among different developers or authors, making it easier to collaborate and understand each other's work.

3. What are the benefits of using an indentation standard?

Using an indentation standard can improve the overall quality of code or written materials, as it helps to identify errors and maintain a clean and organized structure. It also promotes efficient collaboration and reduces confusion among team members or readers.

4. Are there different types of indentation standards?

Yes, there are different types of indentation standards, depending on the programming language or document formatting. For example, some languages or styles use tabs for indentation, while others use spaces. It is important to follow the specific indentation standard for the language or style being used.

5. How can I ensure I am following the correct indentation standard?

To ensure you are following the correct indentation standard, it is important to refer to the official documentation or guidelines for the specific language or style. Additionally, using an IDE or text editor with built-in indentation tools can help to automatically format code or text according to the chosen standard.