Why Does the Horizontal Ball in the Diagram Take Longer to Fall?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of independence of motion and the behavior of objects falling at the same rate when air resistance is negligible. However, the diagram in question shows that one object takes longer to fall compared to the other. The expert explains that in order for objects to fall at the same time, they must have the same initial velocity along the y-axis. If one object has a different initial velocity, the times will be different. The individual with the problem now has to determine if the discrepancy is due to an error in the diagram.
Linday12
[SOLVED] Independence of Motion

I have a problem with a diagram that goes along with independence of motion. When air resistance is negligible, objects are supposed to fall at the same rate. In the diagram (a flash photograph), it shows 2 balls falling, one straight down, and the other horizontally. So, in my interpretation, they should fall at the same time still. But in the diagram, the horizontal one has 2 more flash's of itself, indicating it took longer to fall. I was able to find another diagram in the textbook with the same problem. So I was just wondering why it shows that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Linday12 said:
I have a problem with a diagram that goes along with independence of motion. When air resistance is negligible, objects are supposed to fall at the same rate. In the diagram (a flash photograph), it shows 2 balls falling, one straight down, and the other horizontally. So, in my interpretation, they should fall at the same time still. But in the diagram, the horizontal one has 2 more flash's of itself, indicating it took longer to fall. I was able to find another diagram in the textbook with the same problem. So I was just wondering why it shows that.

they will take the same time to fall down at the condition that they have the same initial velocity along y! If an object is dropped from rest and another object is thrown horizontally, they will take the same time to reach the ground (neglecting air friction).
But if one object has some initial velocity along y (for example of the one moving straight down was actually thrown downward) then the times will be different

Ok. They were released simultaneously, so now I've got to figure out if it's an error in the diagram. Thanks.

What is the concept of independence of motion?

The concept of independence of motion refers to the idea that the motion of an object in one direction does not affect its motion in another direction. In other words, the movement of an object in one direction is independent of its movement in another direction.

How does independence of motion relate to Newton's first law of motion?

Independence of motion is closely related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The concept of independence of motion supports this law by showing that an object's motion in one direction will not change unless acted upon by an external force in that same direction.

Can independence of motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, independence of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

What are some examples of independence of motion in everyday life?

Some examples of independence of motion in everyday life include a ball rolling down a hill (its motion in the horizontal direction is independent of its motion in the vertical direction), a car driving on a straight road (its motion along the x-axis is independent of its motion along the y-axis), and a satellite orbiting Earth (its motion in one direction is independent of its motion in another direction).

How is independence of motion related to the concept of vectors?

Independence of motion is closely related to the concept of vectors, as both involve the idea of direction. Vectors are used to represent the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, and independence of motion states that an object's motion in one direction does not affect its motion in another direction, which can be represented using vectors.