Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independence of sigma algebras

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    I am trying to establish whether the following is true (my intuition tells me it is), more importantly if it is true, I need to establish a proof.

If $X_1, X_2$ and $X_3$ are pairwise independent random variables, then if $Y=X_2+X_3$, is $X_1$ independent to $Y$? (One can think of an example where the $X_i$ s are Bernoulli random variables, then the answer is yes, in the general case I have no idea how to prove it.)

A related problem is:

If $G_1,G_2$ and $G_3$ are pairwise independent sigma algebras, then is $G_1$ independent to the sigma algebra generated by $G_2$ and $G_3$ (which contains all the subsets of both, but has additional sets such as intersection of a set from $G_2$ and a set from $G_3$).

This came about as I tried to solve the following:
    Suppose a Brownian motion $\{W_t\}$ is adapted to filtration $\{F_s\}$, if $0<s<t_1<t_2<t_3<\infty$, then show $a_1(W_{t_2}-W_{t_1})+a_2(W_{t_3}-W_{t_2})$ is independent of $F_s$ where $a_1,a_2$ are constants.

By definition individual future increments are independent of $F_s$, for the life of me I don't know how to prove linear combination of future increments are independent of $F_s$, intuitive of course it make sense...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What you say is indeed true. A ful discussion can be found in Billingsley's "Probability and Measure" on page 50.

The proof relies on a lemma, which states that

Lemma: If [itex]\mathcal{A}_1,...,\mathcal{A}_n[/itex] are independent [itex]\pi[/itex]-systems (=stable under finite intersections), then [itex]\sigma(\mathcal{A}_1),...,\sigma(\mathcal{A}_n)[/itex] are independent.

The proof is as follows:

Let [itex]\mathcal{B}_i=\mathcal{A}_i\cup \{\Omega\}[/itex] then we still have independent [itex]\pi[/itex]-systems.
    Take [itex]B_2,...,B_n[/itex] be fixed in [itex]\mathcal{B}_2,...,\mathcal{B}_n[/itex] respectively. Denote

[tex]\mathcal{L}=\{L\in \mathcal{F}~\vert~P(L\cap \bigcap{B_i})=P(L)\prod P(B_i)\}[/tex]

This is a [itex]\lambda[/itex]-system that contains [itex]\mathcal{A}_1[/itex]. This implies that [itex]\sigma(\mathcal{A_1})[/itex] is independent from [itex]\mathcal{A_2},...,\mathcal{A}_n[/itex]. Now we can proceed by induction.

Now we can prove the main theorem:

If [itex]\mathcal{A}_i,i\in I[/itex] are independent [itex]\pi[/itex]-systems. If [itex]I=\bigcup I_j[/itex] is a disjoint union, then [itex]\sigma(\bigcup_{i\in I_j} \mathcal{A}_i),j\in J[/itex] are independent.

Proof: we put

[tex]\mathcal{C}_j=\{C~\vert~\exists K\subseteq I_j~\text{finite}, B_k\in \mathcal{A}_k, k\in K: C=\bigcap_{k\in K}{B_k}\}[/tex]

Then [itex]\mathcal{C}_j,j\in J[/itex] are independent [itex]\pi[/itex]-systems, and [itex]\sigma(\mathcal{C}_j)=\mathcal{B}_j[/itex]. Now apply the lemma.

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    Thank you for the reply!
    I was wondering, the condition of the lemma that $A_1, A_2,...,A_n$ are independent pi-systems is too strong, stronger than pairwise independent, not sure how to apply it in case of pairwise independent systems. In any case I will read the sections in Billingsley's book carefully.

Btw is there a quick explanation for:

A Brownian motion $\{W_t\}$ adapted to filtration $\{F_s\}$, if $0<s<t_1<t_2<t_3<\infty$, then $a_1(W_{t_2}-W_{t_1})+a_2(W_{t_3}-W_{t_2})$ is independent of $F_s$ where $a_1,a_2$ are constants.

Many thanks.

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4
    Pretty sure it isn't true. Suppose instead of Y = X_2 + X_3, we have Y = (X_2, X_3). If X_1 is independent of Y, then
    P(X_1=x_1,X_2=x_2,X_3=x_3)) = P(X_1=x_1, Y = (x_2,x_3)) = P(X_1=x_1) P(X_2=x_2, X_3=x_3)
    = P(X_1=x_1) P(X_2=x_2) P(X_3=x_3)
    thus implying that X_1, X_2, and X_3 are all independent (not just pairwise). This isn't necessarily true.

So to disprove it, find 3 RVs that are pairwise independent but not all independent, and such that all of the pairwise sums of possible values of X_2 and X_3 sum to different values (so that X_2 + X_3 corresponds to (X_2, X_3)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook