1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent Random Variables

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    If x and y are independent and identically distributed exponential random variables, and

z = x+y
    w = x-y

are z and w also independent?

Do I have to actually find the joint pdf of z and w, then find the marginals and then see if they multiply to equal the joint pdf?

Or is there a way to just look at z and w and say whether they are independent or not?

I'm thinking like this: say z = 10... then w could be 5-5=0, but it could also be 10-0=10, or 3-7=-4. So w can be different things when z equals a certain number, but nonetheless it is still constrained by the value of z, so therefore they are not independent. (for example, if z = 10, w could never be 1000)

Is this reasoning correct? I know the definition of independence, but I believe that I have a very poor intuition of it. It's also pretty tedious to do the joint pdf to marginal pdfs comparison, if I could instead figure some of this stuff out by simple argument.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

could you have a look at the covariance? - i think if events are independent the covariance should be zero

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook