1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent Study Advice

1. Jan 18, 2015 #1
    Has anyone been through independent study calculus course ( DE through a university out of Utah)? I really miss the aspect of having an instructor but I do enjoy being able to focus on the aspects that I am not great at while passing over things that I've already learned. I would really like to have a small study group but can't seem to find out who is enrolled in the course much less going at the same pace as I am. Has anyone gotten through this type of course? Were the exams anything like the the traditional class exams? I have found a few differences in the independent study exam review vs the seated midterm exams.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2
    I've taken an independent study, but in aerodynamics. These types of courses are highly self motivated, you won't find a "study group" because most people aren't very curious/want to just get by. I'd suggest taking the opportunity to explore a personal interest and applying what you've learned to a large project. Pick something that will help you achieve your long term goals too.

For example, I just did another IS on wind energy. I set my own deadline of December first to develope a research report. The final copy was finished mid December and was roughly 17 pages long with 25 references. I'm now modifying it so it can be used to write a research grant for a PhD program.

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the advice. I plan on completing the course a few weeks ahead of the seated course,and so far I am on schedule so I don't think I have a problem with meeting my deadlines. I am just worried about not being able to rely on my normal methods of bugging the teacher with incessant questions until I feel confident enough to take the exam. I really wish I knew someone who had taken this specific IS course to get their opinion on what topics were most important for each test but I guess this is the tradeoff........

5. Jan 18, 2015 #4
    You are better off being independent. At some point in time you'll come across a problem where you can't run and get help. The more independent you are the more potential you have to go farther in your career.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook