1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indertiminate form

1. Mar 24, 2004 #1
    we starting to learn about l'hospital's rule and i can't figure out this problem. It goes:

Find the Limit for the following indeterminate forms of the type "infinity - infinity"

limit as x approaches 0 of [(1/sin x)-(1/x)]
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2004 #2
    God it's been too long and my memory of particular derivatives is fading, but if you find a common denominator of [tex]x sin(x)[/tex] because:

[tex]\frac{1}{sin(x)}-\frac{1}{x} = \frac{x-sin(x)}{x \ sin(x)}[/tex]

and we call the fraction

can you find the derivatives [tex]f'(x)[/tex] and [tex]g'(x)[/tex] to find the limit of the original form? You'll have to use the chain rule, right? :wink: Like I said it has been too long...hehe

oops, that product rule, not chain rule!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  4. Mar 24, 2004 #3
    Okay ACLerok I couldn't help myself and gave it my best shot. See if you get the same thing:

[tex]\frac{x-sin(x)}{x \ sin(x)} = \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = 1-cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]g'(x) = sin(x) + x \ cos(x)[/tex]

so the format is now

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \ \frac{1-cos(x)}{sin(x)+x \ cos(x)} = \frac{1-1}{0+(0)(1)}[/tex]

that's indeterminate, too, so take the drivative again to get

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \ \frac{sin(x)}{2cos(x)-x \ sin(x)}[/tex]

after some algebraic hoopla you get

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \ \frac{1}{\frac{2cos(x)}{sin(x)}-x} = \frac{1}{\infty - 0} = 0[/tex]

So the limit is zero.

NOTE: I updated this page once to correct errors I made during the computation, starting with the SECOND derivative
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  5. Mar 25, 2004 #4
    Hi and thanks alot for replying. I understand everything you did but one thing. can you please explain why the limit of 2cos(x)/sin(x) as x approaches 0 equals infinity?
  6. Mar 25, 2004 #5
    2cos(x)/sin(x) is 2/tan(x). tan(0) is 0, so 2cos(x)/sin(x) is 2/0.

7. Mar 25, 2004 #6
    Cookiemonster said it all, but I wanted to add that an easy way to spot this sort of thing is punch sin(0.0000001) in the calc. You get a VERY small number, and if you punched a smaller number than 0.0000001 you'd get an even smaller number for the sin() value. Ad infinitum. If you divide by a fraction you multiply the numerator.

As long as the numerator is a positive value (no matter how big or how small) you get positive infinity for 1/sin(x) as x -> 0
  8. Mar 25, 2004 #7

Homework Helper

Make sure your calculator is in radians and you should see a moderately interesting result (which, incidently, supports the limit going to zero in the original difference expression).
  9. Mar 25, 2004 #8
    isn't 2/0 undefined?
  10. Mar 25, 2004 #9
    Yes, but lim{x->0+} 2/x is infinity and lim{x->0-} 2/x is -infinity, so either way it goes to a big number.

Edit: I should point out that tan(x) is continuous in the neighborhood of 0, so that's why it goes to a big number.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  11. Mar 26, 2004 #10
    Right. ACLerok keep in mind that when referring to limits as x -> 0 people tend to refer to fractions like

2/(an arbitrarily tiny number that's so close to zero the numerator is infinity)

Thanks for this thread, btw! It was fun to work through.
  12. Mar 27, 2004 #11
    ok thanks alot guys! one down two more tough ones to go...
  13. Mar 28, 2004 #12
    click here for problem

is this problem exactly the same as the first one i posted or is there something i have to do first in order to differentiate?
  14. Mar 28, 2004 #13
    Try putting the two terms over one denominator and simplifying.

15. Mar 29, 2004 #14
    Did you figure that last one out AC?
  16. Mar 29, 2004 #15
    no i actually just looked at a friend's answer.

this is the second problem i am given.

click here for 2nd problem

after simplifying i get lim x->0, (1-x/x^2)

i figure that the lim x->0, (1/x^2), and x^2 being a very small number, is +infinity.

am i right or wrong?
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  17. Mar 29, 2004 #16
    I think you should not have given up so easily. The problem looks much worse than it actually is.

[tex] lim \ x \rightarrow 0 \ (\frac{1+x}{x}-\frac{1-x}{x})[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1+x-(1-x)}{x} = \frac{1+x-1+x}{x} = \frac{2x}{x} = 2[/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  18. Mar 29, 2004 #17
    I like it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?