Using L'Hospital's Rule for Indeterminate Form Problems in Calculus

• Thread starter blu3jam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation revolves around using L'Hospital's rule to solve two problems involving limits. The first problem involves a change of variables to simplify the expression, while the second problem involves using the trigonometric identity of cos(u+pi/2) = -sin(u) and then applying L'Hospital's rule. Eventually, the person asking for help is able to figure out the solution.
blu3jam
Hi I'm new to this forum, i need a help i don't know how can i use l'hospital in these problems;lim(x->1, ((arccos(x))^lnx))

lim(x->[tex]\pi[/tex]/2+ (cosx ln(x - [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 ) )Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second one is greatly simplified if you make a change of variables u = x - pi/2

nicksauce said:
The second one is greatly simplified if you make a change of variables u = x - pi/2

Thanks, but still i don't know how can i proceed ? =(

lim(u->0+ (cos(u+[tex]\pi[/tex]/2) ln(u ) )

Well cos(u+pi/2) = -sin(u)

Then you can write your function as
-ln(u) / csc(u), and then apply l'hopital's rule. See where that gets you.

nicksauce said:
Well cos(u+pi/2) = -sin(u)

Then you can write your function as
-ln(u) / csc(u), and then apply l'hopital's rule. See where that gets you.

Now ,i figured it out thank you :wink:

1. What are indeterminate form problems?

Indeterminate form problems are mathematical expressions that cannot be evaluated directly because they result in an undefined answer. This usually occurs when there is a division by zero or when the expression involves infinity.

2. How do you solve indeterminate form problems?

Indeterminate form problems can be solved using various methods such as L'Hôpital's rule, factoring, substitution, and algebraic manipulation. These methods allow us to simplify the expression and find a finite answer.

3. What is L'Hôpital's rule?

L'Hôpital's rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate indeterminate form problems involving limits. It states that if the limit of a quotient of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of their derivatives will be the same.

4. Can all indeterminate form problems be solved?

No, not all indeterminate form problems can be solved. Some expressions may have an infinite limit or may not have a finite answer. In such cases, we say that the limit does not exist.

5. Why are indeterminate form problems important?

Indeterminate form problems are important because they arise in many real-world applications and are essential for understanding the behavior of functions. They also help us to evaluate complicated limits and provide insights into the concepts of calculus and other mathematical theories.