1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index arithmetic

1. Mar 28, 2006 #1
    How would i go about solving the problem of for which values of a is the congruence ax^4≡2(mod 13) solvable? I think it might have something to do with power residues but i'm not sure.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2006 #2
    I would first find all values of x^2 mod 13 for x = 1 to 6 since the possible values just repeat for x > 6. For x = 1,2 and 4 they are 1,4 and 3, respectively. For x = 3,5 and 6 they are -4, -1 and -3. Squaring those values give just three possible values of x^4, i.e., 1,9,3 having respective [tex]a[/tex] values of 2, 6 and 5.
    If there is an easilier way, let someone else post it. Note that 5*3 = 2 mod 13, 2*3 = 6 mod 13 and 6*3 = 5 mod 13 so I guess that powers of 3 are significant here.

4. May 23, 2006 #3
    oops,, what is that "ax^4≡2(mod 13)" means ??
    ax^4=13n+2 !?
    how do you use this "mod" stuff,, I don't use it in this format,, because excel and VBA not in this format... ...

5. May 24, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]a \equiv b ~(mod~n) [/tex] means n divides a-b.

Congruences modulo the same number (n above) can be added, subtracted or multiplied together, just like regular equations.

Can't say I understand your "format" question.

Many programming languages (and possibly Excel) include a function along the lines of "mod(a,n)" which usually returns the smallest positive b, such that b == a (mod n).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?