Solving Logs: Wrong Answer vs Calculator Output

Or you could use logarithms (base 6) to get 3x-12= x so that 2x= 12 and, again, x= 6. So, what are you doing wrong? Not being careful, not using parentheses to make your meaning clear.
Ry122
The index laws state that a^m x a^n = a^m+n

These means that in the equation 6^3x-12=6^x
6^3x/6^x = 6^2x
but when I solve for x using logs the answer is different to what my calculator gives me. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ry122 said:
The index laws state that a^m x a^n = a^m+n

These means that in the equation 6^3x-12=6^x
6^3x/6^x = 6^2x
but when I solve for x using logs the answer is different to what my calculator gives me. What am I doing wrong?

Can you please show us what you did? Did you divide both sides by 6x?

Well, look at it again, it's a cubic equation. :) Can you see it?

Can you go from here? :)

First, those are exponent laws, not "index" laws- indices are just labels distinguishing, say, x1 from x2 or x1 from x2. You can't, in general, do arithmetic with indices and there are no "laws" concerning them.

Second, please use parentheses! I guess that when you say a^m x a^n = a^m+n, you really mean a^m x a^n= a^(m+n) because I know that is a law of exponents. But when you write 6^3x-12=6^x I don't know if you mean 6^(3x-12)= 6^x or (6^3x)-12= 6^x!

If you mean (6^3x)- 12= 6^x, then dividing both sides by 6^x doesn't help a lot: you get (6^3x)/6^x- 12/6^x= 6^(2x)- 12(6^{-x})= 1. You could do as VietDao29 suggests: Let y= 6^x so that 6^3x= y^3 and your equation is y^3- 12= y. Similarly, you could divide by 6^x to get 6^(2x)- 12(6^{-x})= 1 and let y= 6^x in that: y^2- 12/y= 1 which is really the sames as y^3- 12= y.

If you mean 6^(3x-12)= 6^x, then you can divide by 6^x to get 6^(2x-12)= 1 implying that 2x-12= 0 (any number to the 0 power equals 1) and x= 6.
Conversely you could take logarithms (base 60 of both sides to get 3x-12= x whence 2x-12= 0 and, again, x= 6.

What is a logarithm and why is it important in solving equations?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential. It is important in solving equations because it allows us to solve for unknown variables in exponential equations. It also helps us to condense and expand expressions, making them easier to work with.

Why might the answer I get when solving a logarithm be different from what my calculator gives me?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One possibility is that you made a mistake in your calculations. Another reason could be that you are using a different base for your logarithm than your calculator is using. Lastly, it could also be due to rounding errors in your calculator.

How can I check if my answer for a logarithm is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to use a different method to solve the equation, such as graphing or using a table. Another way is to plug your answer back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithms?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithms include forgetting to use the correct base, not simplifying the expression before solving, and making errors when performing calculations. It is also important to remember that the domain of a logarithm is limited, so not all values may be valid solutions.

How can I improve my skills in solving logarithms?

Practicing regularly and using a variety of methods to solve logarithms can help improve your skills. It is also important to review the properties and rules of logarithms to ensure you are using them correctly. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial in improving your skills.