1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index manipulations

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following: ##(\partial_{\mu} \phi)^{2} = \dot{\phi}^{2} - (\nabla \phi)^{2}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##(\partial_{\mu} \phi)^{2}##
    ## = (\partial_{\mu} \phi)(\partial_{\mu} \phi)##
    ## = (\partial_{0} \phi)(\partial_{0} \phi) + (\partial_{1} \phi)(\partial_{1} \phi) + (\partial_{2} \phi)(\partial_{2} \phi) + (\partial_{3} \phi)(\partial_{3} \phi)##

Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Nearly there. But you seem to be missing a minus sign. And the definitions of ()^2 has a small issue.

Look in your course material or text or whatever you are using. There should be something called a metric. For the purposes of this question it looks like the metric should be a diagonal square matrix, zeroes off axis, and (1, -1, -1, -1) on the diagonal.

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    Is this correct?

##(\partial_{\mu} \phi)^{2}##
    ##= (\partial_{\mu}) (\phi \partial^{\mu} \phi)##
    ## = (\partial_{0} \phi) (\partial^{0} \phi) + (\partial_{1} \phi) (\partial^{1} \phi) + (\partial_{2} \phi) (\partial^{2} \phi) + (\partial_{3} \phi) (\partial^{3} \phi) ##

5. May 28, 2015 #4

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite. ##\partial_{\mu} \phi ## is a vector. The index is "down." So to get the "square" of such a vector you need the inner product.

##g^{\mu \nu} \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial_{\nu} \phi ##

6. May 28, 2015 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this is absolutely correct (I disagree with Devens on that point) . But it is true that it may also be written as [itex] g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu \phi \partial_\nu \phi [/itex] although here we are not doing general relativity so we would usually write it as [itex] \eta^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu \phi \partial_\nu \phi [/itex]. But you don't need that notation if you know what [itex] \partial^0, \partial_0, \partial^i [/itex] and [itex] \partial_i [/itex] mean.

7. May 29, 2015 #6

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I see that I forgot to say what was actually wrong. My bad. It's this line. This is taking the derivative ## (\partial_{\mu}) ## of ## (\phi \partial^{\mu} \phi) ##. That is, this is not the same as the previous line. It should be ## (\partial_{\mu} \phi) ( \partial^{\mu} \phi)##.

8. May 29, 2015 #7

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I had misunderstood your point. I thought you were referring to the last line, I had actually ignored the second line, assuming that it was a typo. I agree completely with you.

Regards,

Patrick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted