Index Notation Help: Solve [a,b,c]^2

In summary: Keep it up!In summary, the problem is that the person is struggling with index notation and also still struggling with dummy vs free variables. They eventually figure out what they need to do to solve the problem, but it takes some effort.
JordanD
1. The problem is:

( a x b )⋅[( b x c ) x ( c x a )] = [a,b,c]^2 = [ a⋅( b x c )]^2
I am supposed to solve this using index notation... and I am having some problems.

2. Homework Equations : I guess I just don't understand the finer points of index notation. Every time I think I am getting it down I come back to this problem and get lost in the forest of letters.

I am also still struggling with dummy vs free variables3. The Attempt at a Solution : The most logical approach I thought would be to replace

( b x c ) = d and ( c x a ) = e giving me ( a x b )⋅( d x e ) = [a,b,c]^2

(Note: my instinct was to skip ahead to the 'end' but I think for the sake of learning I should show all my steps?)

bold = vector

( a x b )⋅( d x e ) = aibjεijkek ⋅ dlemεlmpep

= aibjdlemεijkεlmp(ekep)

= aibjdlemεijkεlmpδkp

= aibjdlemεijkεlmk

= aibjdlemilδjm - δimδjl)

= aibjdlemδilδjm - aibjdlemδimδjl

= aibjdiej - aibjdjei

Here is where I freeze up. Am I on the right track? Do I plug in for my values of d and e and keep hammering away? Whats the deal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I'd say you're on the right track:smile:. Looking at the second term of your last expression, it contains bjdj. Keeping in mind the definition of the vector d, can you see by inspection what bjdj reduces to?

For the first term, aibjdiej, plug in the expressions for d and e as you suggest.

So I figured it out! I just needed to be more confident in myself haha.

So had I kept going I would have seen that aibjdiej is the result I was looking for. However the second portion should then reduce to zero... and luckily it does. To prove this you can write out the sum and see that they alternate and cancel out!

OK. Another way to see that the second portion is zero is to note that d = b x c and therefore d is perpendicular to b. So, the scalar product of b and d (i.e., bjdj) must be zero.

Anyway, your work looks good!

1. What is index notation?

Index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent repeated multiplication of the same number or variable. It is denoted by a set of numbers or letters called indices or exponents.

2. How do you solve a problem using index notation?

To solve a problem using index notation, you need to follow the rules of indices. These include multiplying numbers with the same base by adding their exponents, dividing numbers with the same base by subtracting their exponents, and raising a number to a power by multiplying its exponent by the power.

3. What does [a,b,c]^2 mean?

[a,b,c]^2 means raising the numbers a, b, and c to the power of 2. In other words, it is equivalent to multiplying each of these numbers by itself.

4. Can you simplify [a,b,c]^2?

Yes, [a,b,c]^2 can be simplified to [a^2, b^2, c^2]. This follows the rule of raising a power to another power, which states that you multiply the exponents.

5. What are the applications of index notation?

Index notation is commonly used in scientific and mathematical fields to represent repeated multiplication or power functions. It is also useful in simplifying complex equations and expressions, and in solving problems involving exponents and logarithms.