QFT Index Notation: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about index notation in QFT after having learned about relativity. The use of sloppy notation in flat space is mentioned, but it is important to be precise in calculations. Sources for further reading on QFT are recommended, with caution given for typos and inaccuracies in some texts. The 3 volume set by Weinberg is highly recommended but may not be suitable for beginners.
dyn
Hi. I'm just starting QFT for the first time. I've just finished a course in relativity but I'm confused about the index notation I've found in QFT. Here are 2 examples yi = Σ Mij xj and yj = δij yi . These examples don't seem right after what I have learned in relativity unless the index notation changes in QFT ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The i-index on M should indeed be upstairs, but people are sometimes sloppy when considering flat space in Cartesian coordinates; there, covariant and contravariant components are numerically the same because the metric is given by the identity matrix. You'll encounter this often, but a good habit is to be precise when doing your own calculations. In older papers you can also encounter this notation for curved indices in general.

Likes dyn
Where does this come from? I'd look for a more carefully written source on the subject. QFT is difficult enough to understand. You don't need unnecessary sloppyness in notation. Good starting points are

L. H. Ryder. Quantum Field Theory. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne, 2 edition, 1996.
D. Bailin and A. Love. Introduction to Gauge Field Theory. Adam Hilger, Bristol and Boston, 1986.
Lowell S. Brown. Quantum Field Theory. Cambridge University Press, 1992.
M.E. Peskin and D. V. Schroeder. An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory. Addison-Wesley Publ. Comp., 1995.

The last one has to be read with great care, because it has pretty many typos (and sometimes even quite annoying inprecisions), but overall it's didactically well written.

The non-plus-ultra are of course the 3 volumes by Weinberg

S. Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, Cambridge University Press, 3 Vols.

I'd, however, not take them as a first text.

1. What is QFT Index Notation?

QFT Index Notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum field theory to represent and manipulate the various quantities and operations involved in the theory, such as fields, particles, and interactions.

2. Why is QFT Index Notation important?

QFT Index Notation is important because it allows for a concise and consistent representation of complex mathematical expressions in quantum field theory. It also helps to reveal the underlying symmetries and patterns in these expressions, which can aid in understanding and solving problems in the theory.

3. How is QFT Index Notation different from other notations?

QFT Index Notation is different from other notations, such as Dirac notation or Feynman diagrams, in that it is specifically designed for use in quantum field theory. It incorporates the use of indices and tensors to represent and manipulate quantities, rather than traditional mathematical symbols.

4. What are the benefits of learning QFT Index Notation?

Learning QFT Index Notation can greatly enhance one's understanding of quantum field theory and its applications. It can also make solving problems and performing calculations more efficient and organized, as well as provide a deeper insight into the underlying mathematical structure of the theory.

5. Are there any resources available for learning QFT Index Notation?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning QFT Index Notation, including textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and tensor calculus before delving into QFT Index Notation.