Index Notation: ∂_i 1/r = -x_i/r^3?

In summary, index notation is a mathematical notation that uses indices or subscripts to represent repeated multiplication in a concise way. The expression ∂_i 1/r = -x_i/r^3 represents the partial derivative of the function 1/r with respect to the variable x_i, and the negative sign in the result indicates a decrease in the function's value. Index notation is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering, to calculate forces and describe physical phenomena.
ellocomateo
Hello world,

Index notation is driving me crazy: why on Earth is ∂_i 1/r = -x_i/r^3 ?

I would expect it to be -x_i/r^2...

Thanks for commenting

Mathematics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hello ellocomateo! welcome to the world! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)

∂r/∂x = … ? :wink:

Oh, you mean chain rule and ∂r/∂i=xi/r
Thanks!

1. What is index notation?

Index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent repeated multiplication in a concise and efficient manner. It uses indices or subscripts to represent the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself.

2. What does ∂_i 1/r = -x_i/r^3 mean?

This expression represents the partial derivative of the function 1/r with respect to the variable x_i. It can also be interpreted as the rate of change of 1/r in the direction of x_i. The result of this partial derivative is -x_i/r^3.

3. How is index notation used in this expression?

The index i in the expression represents the dimension or direction in which the partial derivative is being taken. It allows us to represent the derivative in a compact form without having to write out the full expression every time.

4. What is the significance of the negative sign in the result?

The negative sign in the result indicates that the function 1/r is decreasing in the direction of x_i. This is because the partial derivative represents the slope of the function, and a negative slope indicates a decrease in the function's value.

5. How is this expression used in scientific research?

This expression is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to calculate the force and acceleration of objects in three-dimensional space. It is also used in mathematical models to describe the behavior of physical phenomena, such as gravitational or electric fields.